advertisement

Affordable mains plugs

IWC Doppel

pfm Member
i wonder if there has been any more products come up to deal with thicker mains cabling. I have a couple of set ups where I need some mains plugs for

One uses thick cheap cable that worked quite well, I managed to avoid plug cost before by having a dedicated mains supply in the room and fed each unit direct from a consumer unit. Alas I can’t do that this time because of regs and living in a grade 1 house

I am just not prepared to pay silly money on oyaide or furutech

Any suggestions ?

I’m the same - if a cable won’t fit in a classic MK or Crabtree plug it doesn’t get used here!

PS I polish the pins, fuse holders etc now and again. Haters gonna hate.

Just use MK 13A if you can't set up an alternative solution involving hard wiring from fused outlets etc.
There are also 30A 240V sockets, if you wish. I have used these for inductrial equipment running off a single 240V- 30A radial circuit. They are big and ugly and I doubt you would be allowed to use them in a listed building if you are not allowed to install fused outlets.

I’m the same - if a cable won’t fit in a classic MK or Crabtree plug it doesn’t get used here!

PS I polish the pins, fuse holders etc now and again. Haters gonna hate.

No need to polish the pins, just unplug and re-insert the plug every now and again and the actual contact patch will get cleaned. ;)

I recently moved into an early 1960's house which still has the old Crabtree sockets and switches, the quality is superb and massively better than most modern stuff.

I’ve used the MS HD plugs before (linked to just above) and they are mechanically very well designed and can take very thick cables much better than standard plugs.

One day the high-end audiophile vendors will get all the Nobel prices in physics they so richly deserve...

Indeed! Something so basic as cables and the connectors on the ends of said cables and NASA, CALTECH, MIT, Bell Labs, Philips, CERN, Sony, Raytheon, NPL and Cavendish Labs etc etc all so ignorant about it...

Indeed! Something so basic as cables and the connectors on the ends of said cables and NASA, CALTECH, MIT, Bell Labs, Philips, CERN, Sony, Raytheon, NPL and Cavendish Labs etc etc all so ignorant about it...

I am sure it is all a government cover-up...

Not sure how much credit you should give Nasa unless you're using Bose speakers like they did on the space shuttle :p

But any plug fancier than an MK safety plug (or if it is likely to take knocks like on a power tool an MK toughplug) is pure bollocks, hi-fi or otherwise. Nothing to do with sound or anything else, I just like them because I have never had to replace one, ditto sockets and lightswitches, they are well made and last. I have had a 'MasterPlug' come apart when I tried to withdraw it from a socket, 'contract' sockets and switches crack or just stop working etc etc. MK stuff just does what it's supposed to!

Well if Richard Feynam had been into hifi, physics would probably now be level. But I think bongos were more his thing.

advertisement

Back