advertisement

Hugo2 vs Ndac+TeddyXPS

[QUOTE='If my choices were limited to Chord or Naim I would wait for the Qutest to arrive in my local emporium and have my debit card handy.[/QUOTE] - I already have!......

Don’t underestimate Teddys own dac. In my opinion it easily outperforms the Ndac with a teddy xps and a lot cheaper.

[QUOTE='If my choices were limited to Chord or Naim I would wait for the Qutest to arrive in my local emporium and have my debit card handy.
- I already have!......[/QUOTE]

Great stuff. I look forward to some impressions when you have it. I intend to borrow one when I get a chance. A purchase is a strong possibility if it matches the Hugo on sound.

Slight diversion- has anyone had a chance to compare Hugo I and 2? - I really like the remote control functionality of the 2 but curious to know if the SQ is unchanged. My original Hugo is still going strong and is about my most used component for the last three years.

Slight diversion- has anyone had a chance to compare Hugo I and 2? - I really like the remote control functionality of the 2 but curious to know if the SQ is unchanged. My original Hugo is still going strong and is about my most used component for the last three years.

If the remote is anywhere near as poor as the one for the Hugo TT don't expect to use it. It's utterly rubbish and often sends the TT loopy when trying to adjust the volume. Mine goes in to a input cycle where it keeps flashing up the different inputs on the screen. I would then have to power the dac down and restart it.

The SQ of Hugo 2 is much improved - firmer, clearer, more "tangible" compared to the original which sounds slightly wooly in comparison. My brief experience of the Hugo TT remote is per Rick's mail above. The remote for the Hugo 2 is mercifully basic (no stupid metal casing that made the buttons on the TT remote useless if you have human-sized fingers), plastic and seems functional. It makes a big difference in that you don't have to touch the awful buttons or volume control on the Hugo 2 itself.

The SQ of Hugo 2 is much improved - firmer, clearer, more "tangible" compared to the original which sounds slightly wooly in comparison. My brief experience of the Hugo TT remote is per Rick's mail above. The remote for the Hugo 2 is mercifully basic (no stupid metal casing that made the buttons on the TT remote useless if you have human-sized fingers), plastic and seems functional. It makes a big difference in that you don't have to touch the awful buttons or volume control on the Hugo 2 itself.
....stop it, you’re making me want to buy one. Good to hear your impression Mark. I haven’t found the Hugo ‘wooly’-ie I’d describe it as very well resolved with good imaging, if a little ‘light’ sounding and if the Hugo 2 built further on that, audibly, then I’d be very tempted. I tried the TT and found the remote a bit of a faff too. I didn’t get a proper chance to compare it through amp and speakers but I really couldn’t pick out any reliable difference from the Hugo through headphones.

I’m looking forward to reports of Qutest audio quality compared to 2Qute since functionality and ergonomics are a definite improvement. The variable gain would be very useful to me. Has anyone asked their dealer the px value of 2Qute against Qutest? Actually, just typing their names is almost enough to put you off Chord DACs regardless.

advertisement

Back