advertisement

Small integrated, Wyred4Sound, BelCanto c5i etc etc (I'm US based)

sean99

pfm Member
My Densen B100 has died. I'm using an old Cyrus 2 (which is surprisingly good) in the interim. However longer term I'd like a new integrated amp, preferably with MM phono, and a built in DAC might be nice. The BelCanto C5i has all of this, but I've never heard it.

Has anyone heard the Wyred, BelCanto, maybe alongside Cyrus and / or Rega integrateds to see how they compare. Speakers are 4ohm standmounts reasonably efficient. The Densen B100 and Cyrus 2 drive them fine - I don't need kilowatts.

Thanks

Also consider the Heed Elixir. Delightful amp. No DAC, but a stellar MM phono stage.

I tried the Wyred integrated on loan and found it way too much in the bass. Strangely though, I later tried Wyred monoblocks and they’re in my rig - superb. I can’t account for why the integrated sounded that way but it was, shall we say, challenging.

Thanks guys. I'd read that elsewhere about the Wyred - as you say very odd. I've read mixed reviews on the Bel Canto also. I think I'll stick with the cyrus for now - perhaps clean the faders and switches with CAIG and bide my time on spending any cash, maybe see if I can find a Rega dealer to compare their amps to the Cyrus 2.

cyrus is good , bel canto stuff is beautifully made but not heard it yet . had loads of other bc stuff and still do . extremely reliable

I think I'd be checking out the Bel Canto if I could Sean, accepting that I've not heard any but the general noise on the net seems very positive.

from one review
A prominent sonic wallop is likely the first thing you’ll notice when firing up the C5i. Bass is particularly well controlled, as is transient attack. The California Guitar Trio’s “Led Foot” demonstrates the C5i’s ability to maintain pace while simultaneously keeping separate and clean the three distinct guitar voices. California Guitar Trio records contain a wealth of musical information in a small space, an acoustic that most moderately priced integrated models fail at recreating.

Bill Bruford’s Earthworks lies at the opposite end of the sound spectrum. A skilled drummer that never hesitates to maximize his kit, Bruford provides a great torture test. The C5i has no problem keeping the cymbals in their own distinct space as the percussionist takes flight on several rapidly paced solos.

Comparing the C5i to the much larger REF500M monoblocks reveals a close resemblance at less-than-earthquake levels, and for good reason: The C5i uses the same power modules, albeit in stereo rather than in a bridged mono configuration. Again, Bel Canto doesn’t sacrifice sound quality at a lower power level, making the C5i an even more attractive proposition regardless of where you sit in the audiophile pecking order. And diversity abounds.

The high-level outputs give it even more versatility for listeners that desire a satellite/subwoofer system. Users that either don’t want or can’t get speakers right now should think of the C5i as a wonderful headphone amp that happens to have a great DAC and phonostage. It adequately drove the new Grado PS500, Audeze LCD2, AKG 701, and Sennheiser 650 headphones. Yes, you can drop another $500-$1,000 on an outboard headphone amp, but this one works well and is miles beyond any pod or tablet

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/bel-canto-c5i-integrated-amplifier/

Exposure XM5 ?

May be a problem for the US, not sure and I don't know why I think it has to be half size?

I just cleaned the Cyrus 2 potentiometers, switches and phono sockets with CAIG deoxit and faderlube and ..... WOW I think I'll live with the Cyrus2 for a while. I have a local Rega / Peachtree dealer (and Beyer - wonder what the DT1770 are like?) I may visit later in the year. At some point I'll take the lid off the Densen and see if there's obvious damage - thanks all for your input.

advertisement

Back