advertisement

The Now Show. Radio 4

I do like In Our Time, it is consistently intelligent radio and it staggers me that he can go from Ancient Greece to quantum physics from one week to the next and still keep up with the guests.
"Thank you to Professor Susan Jones of Cambridge University and Dr John Smith of Imperial College and their insight into the physical properties of the transition metals and how these have been exploited between the later Industrial Revolution and the present day. Next week we will be hearing from Dr Evaldes Stravinsky, who will be talking about the movements of the Nordic tribes between the 3rd and 8th centuries AD, the grammatical structures of Eastern European languages and their influence on 18th century Russian music. I do hope that you can join us."

I bet he doesn't waste his time looking at Homes Under The Hammer.

The Now Show used to be a beacon of excellence in the turgid ocean of mediocrity that is comedy on Radio 4 and the recordings full of Boozy profanity that never made to air (I particularly remember a spectacularly scathing rant form Dr Phil Hammond on the state of the NHS that deserved to be on the news). This current series is a different show. Not even the wonderful Hugh Dennis is enough to make me tune in each week any more. Incidentally, f anyone does go to a recording, the cast all used to go down the Yorkshire Grey in Riding House Street for a beer afterwards.

When the Now Show is on after the Money Programme (1200 Sat's) I have lunch a little earlier and await the return of The News Quiz. Sandi T was THE News Quiz voice, but Miles Jupp does a reasonable job. It's the format which works. It's all I listen to on R4.[/QUOTE

Ah, the Money Programme.
A Saturday staple for many a year...
I find it interesting, but don’t always listen.

I will look up the Sir Henry thing on Listen agin. My chances of being conscious at 1145 on a school night are slim to none. It's infrequent on a non school night these days, post head injury. Ho hum.

If we are recommending, Radio 4 Extra is brilliant.

Recent goodies were Elastic Planet (all hail Oliver Postgate), The Mighty Boosh (excellent on the radio) and I'm quite ford of Tom Wrigglesworth's hang-ups and Joseph Morpurgo's Walking Tour.

Oh and Ed Reardon's week, of course. Jeremy Hardy Feels... Happy should be good but I suspect if your leanings are to the right of the political spectrum you may not agree.

Stephen

Vivian Stanshall's Sir Henry at Rawlinsons End on 4 Extra at 11.45 tonight

Now (posting at 1:30 am) I would love to have seen that. I watched it in a scruffy cinema somewhere near Marble Arch when it was first released, maybe 1978? As someone has already said, infinitely quotable. Trevor Howard as he had never been seen, and that was only the beginning of it.

Now (posting at 1:30 am) I would love to have seen that. I watched it in a scruffy cinema somewhere near Marble Arch when it was first released, maybe 1978? As someone has already said, infinitely quotable. Trevor Howard as he had never been seen, and that was only the beginning of it.

The pictures really are better on the radio ...

Stephen

Quick shout out for Absolute Power on 4 extra tonight. Stephen Fry and John Bird as a pair of unprincipled PR Consultants working for the government in the early 2000's. Some gentle fun poking of New Labour in series 2 tonight, not so gentle in series 3 when they cover Hutton. Not one for the Blairites.

advertisement

Back