advertisement

Pi - Dac - CCA

Yes powered through the Audiophonics via Audiophonics PSU. Supposedly better as the Pi can't contaminate the DACs power.

Yes powered through the Audiophonics via Audiophonics PSU. Supposedly better as the Pi can't contaminate the DACs power.

I am a bit confused - are you saying you feed the Pi from the DAC PSU in order not to contaminate the DAC power?

I chose to power the i-Sabre V3 with separate a Meanwell SMPSU recommended by Audiophonics, whilst the Pi3 is being powered by the Aqvox LPSU.

I chose to power the i-Sabre V3 with separate a Meanwell SMPSU recommended by Audiophonics, whilst the Pi3 is being powered by the Aqvox LPSU.

Powering a computer (the RPi) with a SMPS and the *analog* section of the DAC with a LPSU might make sense, not sure what the benefits of doing it the other way around are.

I am a bit confused - are you saying you feed the Pi from the DAC PSU in order not to contaminate the DAC power?

The linear PSU is connected to the DAC board. So the power comes through the DAC board to power the Pi. This is what was recommended by Audiophonics. The power button just makes it easier to power the both the Pi and DAC board down.

Powering a computer (the RPi) with a SMPS and the *analog* section of the DAC with a LPSU might make sense, not sure what the benefits of doing it the other way around are.
Yes the other way around would be better and two LPSUs even better.
I used to power the Pi3 + HiFiBerry DAC with the LPSU and then replaced the latter with the Audiophonics but I decided not to invest any more money in this kind of low performance-potential configuration (NUC + DAC). It's a temporary thing until I decide which NOS DAC to get.

Did you have to switch any switches, toggle any toggles, jump any jumpers to do this? (just curious as I thought the pi by itself only needs 3volts or so, or have I mis-remembered/misunderstood?).

Ronnie

Did you have to switch any switches, toggle any toggles, jump any jumpers to do this? (just curious as I thought the pi by itself only needs 3volts or so, or have I mis-remembered/misunderstood?).

Ronnie

If I'm not mistaken the Pi needs 5V and at least 1A. I'm using mine as a buffer only but using it as a music player/processor performing upsampling might require a bit more current.

Ah, then it is most likely that it is the dac that uses the lower supply figure, I'll have to go read through the Audiophonic's bumf again! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ronnie

No. For purely digital circuits, a smps is better, as it is much better at dealing with the noise coming from high-speed digital circuits.

I thought that one shouldn't use SMPSUs at all in the mains circuit feeding the audio system...
I can try using an SMPSU with the Pi3 but I doubt it'll make an audible difference.

I thought that one shouldn't use SMPSUs at all in the mains circuit feeding the audio system...

If your audio system has a properly designed power supply, it won't matter, but a smps is better at filtering the power supply line noise generated by digital circuitry.

I can try using an SMPSU with the Pi3 but I doubt it'll make an audible difference.

I agree - pretty sure it won't make a difference, but if so, why bother with an inefficient linear supply?

If your audio system has a properly designed power supply, it won't matter, but a smps is better at filtering the power supply line noise generated by digital circuitry.

I agree - pretty sure it won't make a difference, but if so, why bother with an inefficient linear supply?

Like I said, I bought it to use with the HiFiBerry HAT DAC that was powered by the R-Pi3.
Besides I am not paying for electricity. :)

How do you do this?
power button, which enables the Pi to be turned of safely without the risk of corrupting the SD card

Myself I use an Allo DigiOne on the RPi3. It is supposed to be (one of) the best way to output digital Output (Coax, BNC) from the PI...
Works with several software packages - I have used Volumio and have now come to use moOde...

As an addon how difficult would it be to add a 3.5 inch screen to the streamer with Jivelite . Would only want to use the screen as a display to show the fancy equalizer and meter graphics.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back