advertisement

Exposure amp with Van Damme speaker cable - What mm size?

Balance

Hey guys,

I need speaker cables from Exposure 3010s2 to PMC speakers. Trying to replicate the size of the original Exposure Speaker cable. Van Damme's UP-LCOFC HiFi cable seems to fit the bill with regards to replicating Exposure's construction (being shot gun style with separating sheathing). However what size should I get 2.5mm or 4mm or 6mm? Which size is closest to the Exposure speaker cable?

Thanks!

I use the 2.5mm on my Exposure IV. And I disagree that things will just sound the same. Old Exposure amps would certainly sound different with higher capacitance cables, as well as running hotter...

EDIT: am not so sure that the Expo 3010S has the same requirements, however, Van Damme UP-LCOFC is my go-to cable full stop. Low capacitance & moderate inductance is the 'kindest' speaker cable regardless of amp.

I use Van Damme Tour Grade Black, 2.5mm, have for years, it's a very good cable at sensible money, get them made-up by Mark Grant.

A view from Cambridge: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/speaker-cables

And a view from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire

The 'Quality Debate' section towards the end of the Wiki article is quite illuminatiing.

I'm no electronics expert, but I do think that a decent sized conductor .. ..is all that is needed for 'normal' amps into 'normal' speaker loads. ( I use Mark Grant constructed Van Damme Blue 4mm in 6metre single wire runs for my LFD Zero MkV to Rogers Studio 3/AB3 which have an approx 6 Ohm passive impedance and no scary dips..)

I believe that issues of capacitance and inductance are minimal when using any decent and conventionally constructed cable. You'd need very long runs to create an audible effect.

If you want to use 5000 strand plaited Titanium insulated with Rice Paper impregnated with the natural oil from the hair of dusky Pacific Island virgins.. you take your chances... :D

Mull

4x 6m of 2 core 2.5mm* Van Damme Blue here. Any thicker is a waste of money. Not using Exposure amps though.

I alternately do use both 2x3m Linn K20 (4mm2) and 2x3.5m Exposure 'DMF two' (5.3mm2) LScable on my Exposure XXXV. Both do the electrical specs trick right.
The K20 sounds opener with warmish bass, but the DMFtwo sounds more compact with strong midrange and drier bass

Last edited:
I use the 2.5mm on my Exposure IV. And I disagree that things will just sound the same. Old Exposure amps would certainly sound different with higher capacitance cables, as well as running hotter...

EDIT: am not so sure that the Expo 3010S has the same requirements, however, Van Damme UP-LCOFC is my go-to cable full stop. Low capacitance & moderate inductance is the 'kindest' speaker cable regardless of amp.

If a speaker cable was to effect the temperature an amp runs at (it doesn't) then you have severe problems!!

As with all cables they make little difference and for speakers just use the thickest and keep it short.

Older Exposure and Naim amps have intentionally no zobel network on the poweramp output!
This is compensated with de electrical specs of the Exposure and Naim cables

With other cables, the amps can become instable and heat up > so... no nonsense, but technical talk!

If a speaker cable was to effect the temperature an amp runs at (it doesn't) then you have severe problems!!.....

I alternately do use both 2x3m Linn K20 (4mm2) and 2x3.5m Exposure 'DMF two' (5.2mm2) LScable on my Exposure XXXV

Exposure is 5.2mm2 or is it 4mm2? Are Van Damme specs different as they just read 4mm?

Sorry for the noob questions

Older Exposure and Naim amps have intentionally no zobel network on the poweramp output!

With other cables, the amps can become instable and heat up > so... no nonsense, but technical talk!

Correct!

Exposure 'DMF two' specifications of the conductor (copied from a Exposure specsheet) are:
- annealed bare copper OFC 99.9%
- 42 strands of 0.404 mm
- stranded diameter of 3.02 mm
- total crossection of 5.38 mm2

Well yes.. I recall reading about this years ago. It of course begs the questions.. 1. WTF is a Zobel Network? 2. Why did NAIM and Exposure feel that they could manage without one and to what.. if any advantage... apart from pushing customers into also buying 'approved' cable, which in effect replaces the Zobel?

1. A low-pass filter, typically a small inductor located near the output devices.

2. They concluded, quite correctly, that if the specified LS cable provides sufficient inductance to render the amp unconditionally stable, then why have a Zobel?

3. Cost. Possibly a performance gain through eliminating those components from the signal path.

advertisement

Back