advertisement

Small Floorstanders?

ha....i was just going to suggest these . i heard them 2 weeks ago . they look beautiful and are superb vfm at 2k for beautiful oak veneer compared to a similar spec from a major competitor made in china with vinyl wrap at the same price

very enjoyable sound even though they were fresh out of the box . well worth considering . i believe they are selling very well

Proac DT8 would be at the top of my list.

proac-dt8-speakers-_pair_.jpg

Dimensions
38.5" (978mm) high (on spikes), 7.6" (193mm) wide, 9" (229mm) deep
Weight
55lbs (26Kgs) each

The Xplorer is definitely going to be an interesting option. It is kind of a cross between the Iota Alpha and the Momentum SX5i, two speakers which are each rather exceptional in their own right.

Moorgates Sheffield still have a few pairs on new Spendor A5R's at £1,295 (e-bay listing price) which is a saving of £700 on their retail price before being discontinued a few months ago. They are fractionally higher than your spec at 830mm but being a sealed box there is no problem having them close to rear wall. I snapped up a pair a while ago to replace some earlier A5's which had replaced some even earlier S5e's. You might get the impression I like them. Finish of cabinets is extremely good & the A5R's are definitely a step up on the A5's despite only a 4* review from What Hi-Fi.

The Spendors are great speakers with real pedigree. I never take What Hi-Fi reviews seriously. Good price as well.

The Larsen speakers look really interesting, in my experience having speakres designed to work next to the wall in the first place really helps.
And I was surprised as to just how well they work. The 4.2 had no boom at all - maybe a tad bass light for some, but if bass isn't your first goal, the 4.2 model are a fantastic little speaker that should work really well in small rooms - my current room they're in is more classroom sized, hence possibly the bass being a little lean. It was all there though, and nicely balanced. Even moving up to the 6.2, I was surprised just how tonally similar they were to the 4.2 - I've never come across a speaker that sounded so close to another in a range. I don't mean that in a bad way, as there were definite differences regards to spatial qualities etc, but more in the sense that in the same positioning, you'd expect a slightly larger speaker, with a slightly larger bass driver to be fuller sounding, and possibly have a negative effect due to its placement - there wasn't!

Hi everyone

A new listening room and layout may force me down the path where I need to use speakers no more than ~80cm tall. They need to be happy close-ish to a back wall (50cm). I am assuming this means small floorstanders, but I guess standmounts on low stands could work.....

Budget is around the £2-5K mark.

I am considering:

- Neat Iota Alpha and the new Xplorer
- Shahinian Arc or Obelisk
- Kudos x2
- Spendor A2

Are there others I should add?

Thanks
What about Boenicke ? Never heard them but look very interesting. Pretty expensive. Were some impressed people a while back I recall.
Maybe not though. Believe they need a bit of space ?

Hi everyone

A new listening room and layout may force me down the path where I need to use speakers no more than ~80cm tall. They need to be happy close-ish to a back wall (50cm). I am assuming this means small floorstanders, but I guess standmounts on low stands could work.....

Budget is around the £2-5K mark.

I am considering:

- Neat Iota Alpha and the new Xplorer
- Shahinian Arc or Obelisk
- Kudos x2
- Spendor A2

Are there others I should add?

Thanks
Shahinian LARCs. Isn't there an s/h pair in the classifieds too? Very good and very small.

Another shout for Larsen here. I'm currently using a pair of 4.2s driven by Schiit Ragnarok in a room 4 x 5m. They're sat right up against a hard wood wall and work very well ... preferred over Shahinian Compass, Larcs or Totem Arros.

advertisement

Back