advertisement

Definitive Albums

Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets. Pop no more after this album!

I’ve been listening to the first four Eno albums a lot recently. I had almost forgotten how great he was before he disappeared up his ambient fundament.

Wish You Were Here, too....what a great cover too, used to look at it for hours...I wonder if it meant anything.

It's about getting 'burned' when making a deal and, like all the pictures on the LP depicts 'absence' - in that case, absence of feeling.

As good an album as it is, DSOTM is the one that deals with themes that are relevant for many people today as they were in 72/3. WYWH is just a 40 minute grump about being rich and famous.

My best "classic" jazz list (limited to a single album per artist):

• Art Blakey "Moanin'"
• Art Pepper "Meets The Rhythm Section"
• Art Tatum "Piano Starts Here"
• Ben Webster "Soulville"
• Benny Carter "Jazz Giant"
• Bill Evans "Waltz For Debbie"
• Benny Goodman "The Benny Goodman Story" - I prefer his small group to his big band
• Cannonball Adderley "Something Else"
• Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um"
• Chet Baker "Chet"
• Coleman Hawkins "The Genius Of Coleman Hawkins"
• Dexter Gordon "Go!"
• Django Reinhardt "Djangology"
• Duke Ellington & John Coltrane "In a Sentimental Mood"
• Eric Dolphy "Eric Dolphy In Europe"
• Erroll Garner "Concert By The Sea"
• Gene Ammons "Boss Tenor"
• Grant Green "Idle Moments"
• John Coltrane "Blue Train"
• Lee Morgan "The Sidewinder"
• Lester Young "With The Oscar Peterson Trio"
• Lionel Hampton "The Lionel Hampton Quintet"
• Louis Armstrong "The Great Chicago Concert 1956"
• Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue"
• Milt Jackson & John Coltrane "Bags & Trane"
• Modern Jazz Quartet "Django"
• Sonny Rollins "Saxophone Colossus"
• Wes Montgomery "Smokin’ at the Half Note"
• Yusef Lateef "Eastern Sounds"

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust is ground zero for me, everything I decided to listen after that branches out from it. Before that it was anything my dad or big brother felt would satisfy my ears. It's funny 'cos now it's far from my favourite Bowie album. Which is Low btw...

However, the album I go back to time and time again, for the last 20 years is Brian Eno's Another Green World. I can listen and enjoy it in so many different settings. What a record.

Dr Feelgood "Down by the jetty " preferably in mono,a breath of fresh air in the predominately prog era.

Blancmange, Happy Families & Kraftwerk, Computer World - but that coincided with me have a semi decent record player and tape deck at home, and a new fangled walkman so I could listen to music while out and about :)

A definitive moment for a 16 yo in ‘73. Late at night watching BBC “In Concert”. The usual fare is rock, but what’s this band, Mahavisnhnu Orchestra? Wow that guitarist can play a bit and does that drummer have 6 arms? Head blown and musical tastes evolve dramatically.

Fairport Convention Liege and Leif and the earlier Nottenum Town as a track led me to the previously mentioned Live Dead and St Steven /The Eleven

xx by The xx - we wouldn't have James Blake, which means we wouldn't have Lapsley or the stylings of many modern artists without this
New Forms by Roni Size - when this came out we said "okay drum 'n bass is done, there's nothing left to do!"
Is This It by The Strokes - kicked off a long era of modern indie rock IMV
Joshua Tree by U2 - a classic for pop-rock
Graceland by Paul Simon - a jewel, classic of pop-fusion
Sgt Peppers by The Beatles - could have picked Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road ... you get the idea
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis - not as cool, or good, as Bitches Brew but this is the definitive jazz record IMV
Well-Tempered Clavier by Bach - this a work, but there were no albums back then - he's the grand-daddy

These aren't my top 8 albums/works, though I do love them, but IMV these are "important" for their genres - which I think is the question.

Last edited:
Walter Carlos - Switched on Bach. This album was the one that turned the synthesizer from something used by composers to make very difficult, academic music into one which can be used to make melodic, immediately accessible music.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra. This album defined the whole 'Berliner Schule' of electronic music: mellotrons and 8-note syncopated sequences.

Kraftwerk - Autobahn. Showed how electronic music can become a hit single.

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene. Probably put electronic music in more houses than other artist.

advertisement

Back