advertisement

Health experts confirm smug coffee drinking bastards were right

Just grinding some fresh beans in celebration.......I'll no doubt feel smug after my second cup.

I realise this is humorous but I think the statistic worth checking is life expectancy.

Anything like "doing Y reduces the chances of dying of Z" is not so interesting. For example, "jumping off cliffs reduces your chance of dying of dementia" is 100% factual, an extreme example but it illustrates the problem with many headlines!

A real hipster would hand grind the beans into a chemex.
images

I note with some bitterness that the BBC now once again considers the BMJ a reliable source.

20130716_2_1.jpg

Honestly all the variety you could want. The revolution is coming...

I realise this is humorous but I think the statistic worth checking is life expectancy.

Anything like "doing Y reduces the chances of dying of Z" is not so interesting. For example, "jumping off cliffs reduces your chance of dying of dementia" is 100% factual, an extreme example but it illustrates the problem with many headlines!

Here is the BMJ article being satirised Darren: http://www.bmj.com/content/359/bmj.j5356

It says, "This review found that coffee intake was either not associated or was inversely associated with most health outcomes considered. In particular, coffee intake was inversely associated with all-cause mortality, incidence of and mortality from cardiovascular disease, and incidence of cancer, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, cirrhosis, and diabetes." (my emphasis)

So, while it doesn't say coffee increases your life expectancy exactly, it says that people who drink more coffee tend to live longer. The difference between the two statements being the difference between causation and mere correlation.

So, they aren't sure what causes the longer life - it could be the coffee or it could be some other factor that they haven't spotted that is also correlated with coffee drinking. But you can guess they think it could well be the coffee or they wouldn't have written the article, or at least not written it that way.

Kind regards

- Garry

Here is the BMJ article being satirised Darren: http://www.bmj.com/content/359/bmj.j5356

It says, "This review found that coffee intake was either not associated or was inversely associated with most health outcomes considered. In particular, coffee intake was inversely associated with all-cause mortality, incidence of and mortality from cardiovascular disease, and incidence of cancer, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, cirrhosis, and diabetes." (my emphasis)

They would be mistaken when it came to Epilepsy as caffeine significantly lowers the seizure threshold AFAIK. Seizures are a major cause of mortality in those suffering from many disorders, both neurological and endocrine.

They cover themselves neatly with :

Firstly, some population subgroups may be at higher risk of adverse effects

This is an interesting caveat. So hipsters might be at higher risks of adverse effects given that they are a subgroup?

It doesn't matter if you are more likely to die of some things, merlin, as long as there are other things you are less likely to die of that dominate them. 'All-cause mortality' just means overall on average death rates from every cause added together.

There are often sub-groups who have different risks from the average person. I haven't read the paper in detail so I'm not sure, but you may have correctly identified those with a history of epilepsy as one such group.

advertisement

Back