advertisement

QUDOS - the brilliant new amplifier boards from Avondale + HCR200

Marra

pfm Member
A couple of people have enthused about the HCR regulator; does this supply the whole amp or replace the VBE and feed just the front end?

A couple of people have enthused about the HCR regulator; does this supply the whole amp or replace the VBE and feed just the front end?

The HCR200 is designed to replace the regulator boards found in NAP250 and NAP135 amplifiers. As such each HCR200 powers one NAPA (or NCC200 or Qudos) board but you need to bear in mind that the transformers in the 135 & 250 have higher voltage outputs than those used in the other models because of the voltage drop across the regulator board.

The HCR200 is designed to replace the regulator boards found in NAP250 and NAP135 amplifiers. As such each HCR200 powers one NAPA (or NCC200 or Qudos) board but you need to bear in mind that the transformers in the 135 & 250 have higher voltage outputs than those used in the other models because of the voltage drop across the regulator board.

I'm not using the HCR to power the whole board at this stage, just the front end, a 40-0-40 trani would fit the bill. I could try VBE's too as in a Voyager as I have a couple ready built knocking about somewhere.

Yes, designed to replace the reg board in 250's /135's, Les put it in the front end of my Voyager, I'm very happy.

So you replaced the VBE board with the reg board and it was better?

Les built them, i had a diy voyage clone which I put VBE's in (from the GB), so I can't comment on direct comparison, (it was sold before the build) however the difference between mono NCC200 1.4 to Voyager with HCR front end isn't subtle.

As always there's lots of contributing factors, huge transformers and beautiful build that deserves a perspex lid to put it on view...

Les built them, i had a diy voyage clone which I put VBE's in (from the GB), so I can't comment on direct comparison, (it was sold before the build) however the difference between mono NCC200 1.4 to Voyager with HCR front end isn't subtle.

As always there's lots of contributing factors, huge transformers and beautiful build that deserves a perspex lid to put it on view...
Ok thanks, that's a nice 301 you have there in your picture have a 401 myself.

Thought that the idea of the HCR200 was a high power reg that can regulate the full amp as in the NAP250/135, anyone compared it both ways, full amp vs front end only ?

Alan

We're a long way off the original topic of this thread, perhaps you could start an HCR thread and move the appropriate posts over?

Ive started this thread as a sequal to the original QUDOS thread which has gone astray from the original intent. Here is a starter for 10, how to extract the max from the NCC220 with the additions of regs....

Or the application of regs front, back or both to the NCC200 or indeed the NCC220 (QUDOS).

Having had a look at the NCC300 (photo) Les has in development we notice there are on board regs for the VAS which can also be linked to supply the power out stage. (I think) advice if you see other.)) used just as a reg for the front end and spades available for a conventional +- PSU to the outputs.

NCC300 are not available as yet so looking to reg up the NCC220 ...would it be worth the effort and or cost...??

24784414038_5e7dbe413c_b.jpg

I don't know the values, but the voltage is usually higher on the front end.

Although I've only compared NCC200, the difference between mono 110's and Voyager configuration isn't smal

The comments in this tread appear to be out of sequence from what was actually said in the other Qudos thread ?

The front end only requires a quiet constant current supply so the HCR 200 seems a little overkill for such a small demand, original NCC200 was only arround 20ma not sure what the new Qudos draws.
Of course it doesent matter if the supply is capable of much more as long as the supply is low noise.
Guess that's why Les chosen a simple but effective on board reg for the NCC300

The comments in this tread appear to be out of sequence from what was actually said in the other Qudos thread ?

Yes, but unfortunately the forum tools don't allow me to change the sequence of posts when splitting them out of the original Qudos thread.

advertisement

Back