advertisement

budget 2017

ah , i read 400 pound increase for a discovery , but i guess comapred to the overall price its not much

Yes, well, if you can afford a new Disco, you can easily afford to cough up another £400! I doubt LR’s order book will change one iota.

Only a little bit more Tory austerity pain to endure before they implode over Brexit and an election is called.

When the Tories go out of office this time, they're finished. Only over 70s will be voting for them. Their death is fully deserved and entirely self inflicted.

The problem is if they go before Brexit and Labour are stupid enough to continue on that path and end up taking the blame for the inevitable economic catastrophe. It is obvious the Tories are financially incompetent, the one thing this budget shouts from the rooftop is the country is broken and on the skids already, but Labour can still lose this! The whole thing is a clusterf*** of epic proportions.

The problem is if they go before Brexit and Labour are stupid enough to continue on that path and end up taking the blame for the inevitable economic catastrophe. It is obvious the Tories are financially incompetent, the one thing this budget shouts from the rooftop is the country is broken and on the skids already, but Labour can still lose this! The whole thing is a clusterf*** of epic proportions.

You really should be offered a position on Newsnight Tony. This budget is dictated by fear not by the needs of the nation going forward.

Yes, well, if you can afford a new Disco, you can easily afford to cough up another £400! I doubt LR’s order book will change one iota.

Yep, it's the same as putting vat up by 10% on mc cartridges over £2k, we shouldn't really concern ourselves with how it affects a small number of people:)

Miserable business, targeted taxation. I hate the principle of trying to influence how people spend their money. It's not as if they're not giving the exchequer a healthy dose of vat as it is. Just for a laugh it would be great if everyone who was planning to spend over £50k on a car delayed their purchase for 12 months, that would give the chancellor something to think about!

How can a single cut be justified in this budget when May is about to hand over 40 billion to the EU, I would personally tell the EU to go f^ck themselves & walk away from this ransom request.
I would like to ask the government where this amount has come from when the country is supposed to be clawing back a deficit.
The pot is clearly not empty.

40 billion's worth of blood money.

How about £3bn+ 'Brexit cash' for an act of self-harm that you voted for?

The UK will only pay the EU what it owes the EU or that the EU requires for us to get a trade deal that stops the economy collapsing.

Why would the UK pay more than it needs to? The talk of 'blood money' is risible.

If you want to see real waste, look at the cost of decommissioning UK's nuclear past.

And the money the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) (i.e. tax payers) has had to pay in files for fiddling the bids for the work.

Stephen

Absolutely horrific growth and borrowing projections and those based on a 'smooth' Brexit, which seems unlikely. Amazing how little scrutiny the media is giving this utter shambles.

Funny how a party/country that went to war over a remote British dependency gives so little thought to the people of Gibraltar in the other UK/EU border.

(Could only find Guardian coverage—the other papers appear uninterested, possibly because nearly everyone there voted to remain.)

Stephen

On most cars (less than 130g / CO2) the change is tiny and on the first year VED only. The cost of half a tank of fuel will change the buying behaviour of most people’s second largest purchase? Really?

Ah. I'd interpreted it as a re-banding for existing vehicles so my (technically Euro 3, but actually Euro 4 compliant) 2004 car would be rebanded from the £30 band to the next one up (£100-ish?). Have I misunderstood, and the re-banding only applies to new sales?

Absolutely horrific growth and borrowing projections and those based on a 'smooth' Brexit, which seems unlikely. Amazing how little scrutiny the media is giving this utter shambles.
Agreed. The immediate problem is that the media is not well equipped for dealing with long term macro economic issues: if it can't tell you how much more your wine or your car is going to cost you it tends to clam up. Well judged budget from that perspective. Wider problem is that the media is designed to report on events and action. How do you report on nothing, on incapacity, on the failure to even try to address long term failure? You'd need a journalistic Samuel Beckett.

The more I think about it the more this budget seems like the most evil thing this government has ever (not) done. This is their response to Grenfell, to Universal Credit, to the collapse of the NHS, prisons, schools, i.e. to ongoing social murder: nothing. F.U. They are stalling to give the Patels and their ilk more time to loot and set up sinecures. Get out of the way FFS.

Ah. I'd interpreted it as a re-banding for existing vehicles so my (technically Euro 3, but actually Euro 4 compliant) 2004 car would be rebanded from the £30 band to the next one up (£100-ish?). Have I misunderstood, and the re-banding only applies to new sales?

As far as I can make out, there are no changes for any existing diesel cars. It’s only for new diesels from April 2018 which do not meet the ‘latest’ regulations, which appear to be something other than Euro 6 based on ‘real world’ emissions. That’s most of them I suspect!

The economic outlook is utterly grim- the duration of income stagnation coupled with inflation and job insecurity mean those on low incomes are going to get hammered and that's before the Tory zombie economy has its impending head on collision with Tory Brexit.

We are already into Marie Antoinette territory with a Chancellor claiming there are no unemployed and a Tory backbencher telling the shadow Chancellor in Parliament "that people were better off under the Tories by thousands of pounds a year". When this blows, it's going to blow big. The poll tax riots under Thatcher will be small beer by comparison.

You lot blame everyone but yourselves. The main reason for the UKs sluggish performance is low productivity. In other words, you lot just ain't working hard enough, so get off your lazy arses and start grafting. For a start, I don't expect anyone to write in here whilst they are at the office.

More graft and less waffle is the order of the day.

advertisement

Back