advertisement

Small Floorstanders?

Yamaha NS1000s are from memory 71 cms tall and fulfill all your other criteria. On 2 inch wood blocks for stands they would fit the bill? The NS1000ms are even shorter 68cms allowing for a slightly more standard type of stands?

It's a pain having a height restriction. Mine was 95cm. Kudos Cardea C20's fit perfectly and ousted my Epos14's to the loft! had to forgo several interesting alternatives as they were either too tall or no good reasonably close to the wall.

Do you find the SAM profile makes much of a difference with the Obelisk? Did you ever have any of the other Shahinians (Arc?) with your Dev?

I have had Compasses before the Dev and mk1 obelisks with it, the dev made a huge difference with the mk1 obs compared to the 75wpc hx75 dynavector I had. They definitely like some power.

The SAM profile definitely cleans up the bass a bit in my room, obelisks are excellent already so the impact isn’t massive but definitely takes them a bit deeper on large scale music.

I’ve spoken to my dealer this morning (Sound Cinergy), he said that the Heed enigma is still available although there are a couple of versions and a new version coming up. He doesn’t have them readily available for demonstration at the moment but could possibly arrange it. He also mentioned the Neat Iota Alpha, no pricing is available yet but it looks like a promising speaker.

I think there were some seconds Iota Alpha around £1000 , months back from certain dealers

Very few Enigma's around
Were they £2-2.5 K new ?
Have they reached mk IV or V ?
A Scandnavian dealer had a used/demo ? pair mk III weeks back, no idea if still available, but hardly a mega seller

I have owned Larsen Model 4.2’s for five years now. A wonderful speaker for wall placement. Very easy to place, they sound very good, easy on the ears, good for the long haul. While I get tempted every now and then to try something else, I never seem to get around to it, just cannot be bothered. If I do anything on the speaker front, it would probably be move up to the Model 6.2 or leapfrog to the Model 8.

it will be in an area which is about 6m x 4m with the listening position 2m from the speakers

A room 19.5 ' x 13 ' is hifi Heaven for many. Why are you confining yourself to a tiny bit at one end and sitting so close? Anywhere near a rear wall excludes rear-ported speakers and doesn't really favour front-ported ones; I'd think that stand-mounts would be out as well. I'd guess that with your height restriction you'll have to sit pretty low down at 2 metres distance.

The predecessor to Swedish Larsen speakers were Carlsson OA 52 amo.
Also omni directional performance

These are even lower height than Larsen if memory serve (lots of info on Carlsson Planet) but seem to have become a kult item followed by price increases

Carlsson need to be placed up against wall, just like Larsen range.

Yes, my Larsen 4’s are similar to the Carlsson OA58, but a bit improved over them. As you said, some of the Carlsson and Sonabs did suffer image height due to their shorter cabinets, but they were still fun to play with.

A room 19.5 ' x 13 ' is hifi Heaven for many. Why are you confining yourself to a tiny bit at one end and sitting so close? Anywhere near a rear wall excludes rear-ported speakers and doesn't really favour front-ported ones; I'd think that stand-mounts would be out as well. I'd guess that with your height restriction you'll have to sit pretty low down at 2 metres distance.

Yep, I know - it's not ideal and it may be I have to look at another solution (putting it all in another room) ...... but I am looking up all the ideas on the thread and have some dealer discussions underway. The reason for sitting relatively close is that is that there is a stove going into the "other end" of the room and I can't really put the speakers either side of that as they will cook. So we are putting effectively a second lounge zone near the window where the stereo will go.

What is causing the height restriction? If it is shelving then the Iota Alpha might not work due to the partially upward firing drivers.

^^^ See post #21, a window and a view that he does not want to block or interfere with....

Proac DT8 would be at the top of my list.

proac-dt8-speakers-_pair_.jpg

advertisement

Back