advertisement

Tory Brexit vs. Animal Rights

Tony L

Administrator
As we hurtle ever closer to the Tories burning all our hard-won EU rights and protections in their idiotic Brexit sham/scam it would appear humans (or their Tory equivalent) are not the only ones set to suffer. They have apparently led a vote against transferring key EU animal welfare legislation across, effectively taking the stance that animals are incapable of feeling pain and can be viewed as a commodity (Independent). Petition here on Avaaz. If true (I have not read the bill) this one needs fighting with as much force as is required to do the right thing.

Tony,

The matter could be resolved in <5 seconds if a biologist were consulted.

Pain receptors — check
Central nervous system — check
Brain — check

No vote is needed when the facts are known and the conclusion self-evident.

Joe

Indeed. I have zero doubt about that aspect, I’m just at this stage unsure as to the precise nature of the legislation and vote. The Indie is one of the UK’s best papers, not a high bar admittedly, though infinitely more trustworthy than most, but the comments below shed a little doubt on the reporting.

PS I realise Tories are thick as pigshit, but if true it would almost certainly be an election loser too, and given they always act in their own interest I doubt they’d risk that, though by saying that fox hunting, badger cull etc implies they will go against overwhelming public opinion. Most folk in this country do at least give the outward impression of caring about animal welfare.

Tony,

This is as moronic as, say, putting whether the earth orbits the sun to a vote. It’s not a matter of opinion.

Joe

Agreed. The science is indisputable hard fact, the only thing I don’t know for sure at this stage is what exactly these clowns voted on.

I cannot believe that even this set of halfwits don't know that mammals feel pain and feel distress and fear if mistreated. Are the proposals serious? Regulars here will be aware that I've been involved in the slaughter of many animals and their conversion to meat, and I make no apology for this. People eat meat. However I have always ensured that they don't experience any suffering.

From the point of view of some tories people don't feel pain, people are animals, therefore animals don't feel pain.

It is becoming ever clearer that Brexit is a far right coup d'etat, with the aim of remaking the UK in the image of the USA.

I don't think I've ever been as appalled about the state of UK society, both its government and its people, as I am right now. It seems beyond salvation when you speak to a lovely old bloke on the street who agrees with everything but still "wouldn't vote for that madman Corbyn".

The UK population will sadly, get what's coming to them. Animals however shouldn't be made to pay for their mistakes. I signed the petition a couple of days ago but this time, it's going to take more than the odd on line rant or collective statement to stop the craziness that has engulfed many societies in the Western world over the past few decades.

As we hurtle ever closer to the Tories burning all our hard-won EU rights and protections in their idiotic Brexit sham/scam

Er wrong yet again ... the UK voted to leave the EU and the government of the day are duty bound to implement the will of the people ... end of !

It was only a matter of time before the true nature of Brexit will be getting revealed. What this is really all about is reducing rights in favour of profits. We have seen the vote against animal sentience, the threat of lowering food standards to allow US food imports. We have also see the EU investigating the UK for breaching human rights through mass surveillance, which will be moot when we leave the EU. Expect a lot more hand-picking of EU laws and voting them out.

As we hurtle ever closer to the Tories burning all our hard-won EU rights and protections in their idiotic Brexit sham/scam

Er wrong yet again ... the UK voted to leave the EU and the government of the day are duty bound to implement the will of the people ... end of !

Wrong!!! The referendum was advisory only and due to its nature it appealed to thicko scum bags and so it should be completely ignored!!

Wrong!!! The referendum was advisory only and due to its nature it appealed to thicko scum bags and so it should be completely ignored!!

What a complete load of tosh ... u lost get over it !

LOl....not my attitude at all as an out voter.

If the plebs were conned, it all needs looking at again. If the government can't implement it properly, it all needs looking at again. If the EU changes its behaviour and treatment of member states because of it, it all needs looking at again. The 1st 2 of those of those have question marks for me. And the 3rd may do in the future.

I'm all up for another referendum. I might still vote out, though. The EU has unfortunately not shown its good side at all. But I suspect it will soften its approach to things over time. And then it might look more appealing.

"End of!" I think you will find it isn't the 'end of' anything. 'End of' means 'shut up' and we won't shut up, we will, in the end, emasculate this absurd and immoral charade.

This is just another example of the absence of conscience in this brexshit folly. Personally, I think it is a gift to us who wish to derail it. It will not play well particularly with the under 30s. Which reminds me, I must send the link to my daughters so they can facebook it so their friends can do the same.

It doesn't sound like gun-jumping at all, it may be an incorrect headline but the fact is that the government are not bringing across EU law/principles/whateveryouwanttocallit on animal welfare. If they are not going to do this, they need to have an alternative that is at least as good as far as I'm concerned, and off the record promises or 'plans' for legislation are simply not good enough.

advertisement

Back