advertisement

Dave Gilmour, Pompeii - BBC 2 Saturday

I'm watching it just now and the vocals for The Great Gig in the Sky are tough on the ear, to say the least. I've seen The Australian Pink Floyd live and the wee lass nailed it that night just as the wee lass did that originally nailed it on DSotM. But this performance? No thanks.

I watched it last night. I’m really no fan of his solo work and have no interest in Floyd past The Wall, but good grief that bloke can play guitar! Forget everything else, the guitar sound and playing were just astonishing, every bend absolutely perfectly to pitch and just effortless in delivery. It actually had me googling afterwards as I just couldn’t understand how a Strat can make the sound he gets, especially on the pickup settings he looked to be using. It turns out there is some shenanigans going on in that his guitar is rewired so the neck pickup can be on with any other pickup combination (which you can’t do with a standard Strat). Impressive stuff anyway.

Watching now.

Opening crowdshot scene of several hundred cell phones raised in the air rather turned me off...I would be fuming if there.

And agree Great Gig in the Sky was pretty average at best.. the other two backing singers seemed to be looking a bit concerned I thought!

But he certainly can play guitar in a nice way!

I've seen The Australian Pink Floyd live and the wee lass nailed it that night just as the wee lass did that originally nailed it on DSotM. But this performance? No tha

If only the Aussies were capable of producing a talent like Pink Floyd, rather than just copying it.

though Kylie and Danni have a certain talent.

If only the Aussies were capable of producing a talent like Pink Floyd, rather than just copying it.

though Kylie and Danni have a certain talent.

I guess each nation has its own particular gift to the world. While music is one of Britain's, it just so happens deadly creatures is Australia's. Oh, and sunshine :)

Nick Cave (with and without the birthday party), The Church, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel, Cybotron, AC/DC, The Bee Gees...

Yeah, if only... ;) :)

Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Eskimo Joe, John Butler, Missy Higgins, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Sticky Fingers (OK..my daughter likes them..) to name but a few more...

if only indeed!

The sunshine bit is quite correct though.. :)

Great concert and sound, rather spoilt by the constant cutting between camera shots, about every 3 seconds for goodness sake.

I watched it last night. I’m really no fan of his solo work and have no interest in Floyd past The Wall, but good grief that bloke can play guitar! Forget everything else, the guitar sound and playing were just astonishing, every bend absolutely perfectly to pitch and just effortless in delivery. It actually had me googling afterwards as I just couldn’t understand how a Strat can make the sound he gets, especially on the pickup settings he looked to be using. It turns out there is some shenanigans going on in that his guitar is rewired so the neck pickup can be on with any other pickup combination (which you can’t do with a standard Strat). Impressive stuff anyway.

Hear hear - I find some of his writing to be a bit on the bland side, but his playing (guitar or bass) is always spot on; he is one of a very small number of guitarists who seem to play every note as if it matters on its own - he isn't afraid to play slowly, and many players (of whatever instrument or style) are. As an ex-bass player, fast and flash is easy, as any mistakes tend not to get noticed, whereas a few attempts at playing, for example, Little Feat stuff scared me as there was nowhere to hide!!

I watched it last night. I’m really no fan of his solo work and have no interest in Floyd past The Wall, but good grief that bloke can play guitar! Forget everything else, the guitar sound and playing were just astonishing

Having just watched on i player I totally agree- the flawless playing did however highlight the fact that the voice is a bit thin these days. Feel about the same re Roger Waters live.
I love certain PF albums from the 70's back catalogue but these old boys seam to be milking the Floyd legacy a bit nowadays.

Agreed. I’d be far more interested if he moved the amazing guitar playing into an instrumental jazz or electronica setting, i.e. just forgot about trying to recreate past glories and did something genuinely new. I’d really like to see that.

Agreed. I’d be far more interested if he moved the amazing guitar playing into an instrumental jazz or electronica setting, i.e. just forgot about trying to recreate past glories and did something genuinely new. I’d really like to see that.

He did do that album with The Orb, 'Metallic Spheres' but I'm not sure if it's up to snuff.

I bought the Pompeii DVD as soon as it was released. It really is an excellent live show IMO. I've come a little late to the PF / DG / RW party but I'm a fully subscribed fan now. It was nice to see the BBC broadcasting the show, though it was edited down to 1 hour and I would have swapped out a couple of the tracks including Great Gig In The Sky. Highlights for me are the opening 5AM, Rattle That Lock, In Any Tongue, and of course I will never ever tire of hearing the epic Comfortably Numb. Gilmour's guitar playing is peerless IMO; his tone, phrasings and 'less is more' playing style are both classy and emotive, and I can't believe how nimble he still is on the fingerboard at his age despite the visible evidence of arthritis! `

advertisement

Back