advertisement

Internet identity

Philim

pfm Member
Personally I think we should now be getting to the point that to access the internet you need to have to prove your own identity and that identity visible.
For me one downside of the internet is that because we can all hide our identity it is creating an environment of extreme views which is filtering into politics and uncontrolled behaviour and threats.
I think if there was a way of opening up peoples identities people would be more considered in the approach and activities online.

Personally I think we should now be getting to the point that to access the internet you need to have to prove your own identity and that identity visible.
For me one downside of the internet is that because we can all hide our identity it is creating an environment of extreme views which is filtering into politics and uncontrolled behaviour and threats.
I think if there was a way of opening up peoples identities people would be more considered in the approach and activities online.

I'd like to come back to your central point but firstly I'd appreciate knowing your experience of 'uncontrolled behaviour and threats' here and or elsewhere.

yes, that's an interesting one and a valid point - but at what scale will this be implemented..? national, continent, worldwide? who would police it, and surely it would drive certain websites deeper underground..

Are you going to put into practice what you are preaching?

Right. We'll need your full name and address, plus a recent passport photo.

Are you going to put into practice what you are preaching?
that was my first thought!

Mostly we are hiding our identity from each other rather than the authorities - note the use of the word "mostly". Others will use things like TOR to hide from authorities as well, but actually although it is difficult even that can be tracked.....

As pointed out, that is exactly the policy China, India and a bunch of repressive regimes are pushing for. We don't want anyone to be able to express themselves without fear of repercussions, do we?

Wow I couldn't disagree more strongly!! (says one of the few on here not under a pseudonym). And I especially don't want the gov or other "authorities" spying on me!

That would mean that you, and the rest of us as HIFI enthusiasts and many of us also car enthusiasts, would have our personal info (name, address etc) in the public domain for the men in stripy jumpers to view. Worse than that, my teenage daughter would have her personal info available for all to see too. No thank you.
It’d completely contradict data protection laws too.

That would mean that you, and the rest of us as HIFI enthusiasts and many of us also car enthusiasts, would have our personal info (name, address etc) in the public domain for the men in stripy jumpers to view. Worse than that, my teenage daughter would have her personal info available for all to see too.

But... "if you don't have anything to hide, there is nothing to worry about"... :)

/de-cloak

Yes. So do it.

PS shouldn't be posting here, has a "like" button, must leave again.

/cloak

And when we've eliminated the like button, drain all the swamps next on the list!

Right. Going now. Until the revolution brothers!

I keep my online identity secret by encrypting my messages using a Caesar cipher with a one-character shift.

ju't tp gjfoejtimz dmfwfs, op pof xjmm fwfs dsbdl nz dpef.

Kpf

advertisement

Back