advertisement

Best cheapest dac?

Keith you misunderstand,

There's no "can't" here, it's "don't" - whole world of difference!

AD side, bespoke system implemented on FGPA, totally unique and brilliant.

That is what their reputation is built on and what their customer base probably expects the money to be spent on.

You want similar tech (though not necessarily any similarity of approach or design) in a DAC then look no further than a Chord Dave!

What they will do is couple that AD side up with a competent DAC for recording monitoring.

Said DAC will be of good quality though not necessarily anywhere near so state of the art.

There's a bloody good reason why I monitor my recordings using a BM DAC2 run from my HDSP9624's SP/diff out rather than its onboard DAC. There really is no comparison.

I use same HDSP9624 SP/diff as my normal source for normal replay.

Don't believe anybody is suggesting the DAC side involves an ESS9038 or a state of the art FGPA DAC implementation are they?

Obviously people would take a lot of interest if you could get a DAC such as that in a retail package from a world renowned pro audio manufacturer at the price point which also happened to include an equally state of the art ADC for free. It's just that it seems a bit too good to be true!

In terms of your comparisons - stuff the Young DAC, how does it compare to a BM DAC3?

I'm guessing it doesn't right?

PS and FYI my name actually is Colas!

I don’t believe it is ‘too good to be true’, If you are anywhere near London, let’s arrange a level matched unsighted comparison, you can bring along any dac you consider ‘state of the art’ and we will see whether you can reliably pick it.
Keith

Love to but it won't be this side of Christmas.

Of course if I can't tell it apart from what I already have or can and think it's worse you won't be offended if I don't buy one!

It seems there are also now some "under the bonnet" reviews and rather than the bespoke FGPA technology they have used in the past this seems to be built out of off the shelf ADC and DAC chips.

The pics of the anniversary edition though still shows a Xilinx Spartan ULA inside so it probably has bespoke digital processing.

A friend recently compared the new £10k Weiss to his RME, unsighted and level matched and he couldn’t hear any difference between the two DACs.
Keith

advertisement

Back