advertisement

system sounds 'bright'

Edwar65

pfm Member
Hi, wondering if anyone can offer any input to my issues?
Currently using Avondale dual monobloc amps(in same case) and an arcam cd73 player with a B4 buffer type pre. I recently changed speakers from Royd minstrels to Spendor S5e's as I wanted a bit more bass from my music.
However I find the current set up a bit bright in the treble area,I didn't think the arcam was a bright sounding player to be truthful,I've borrowed a friend's marantz cd6000ose ki and this seems less bright.
My listening area is a 12 x18 room with engineered oak flooring. Speakers are approx 7 ft from my listening position,this is fixed due to layout of my room with dining table,radiator position etc.
Could it be the buffer that's the issue or the cd player be the weak spot??
Cheers.

Maybe you are just used to the treble balance of your old speakers so much that it seems "correct" to you? Spendors are known to generally be pretty neutral and well balanced so maybe your old speakers were a little treble shy and it will take some time to get used to the Spendors... or maybe they're just not for you...

Maybe you are just used to the treble balance of your old speakers so much that it seems "correct" to you? Spendors are known to generally be pretty neutral and well balanced so maybe your old speakers were a little treble shy and it will take some time to get used to the Spendors... or maybe they're just not for you...

I agree with this possibility.

The S5e is pretty flat in the treble and doesn't exhibit any nasty resonances in the upper-mid or lower treble:

S5efig8.jpg

Another possibility comes from the fact that the the impedance is quite high at 3kHz and shoots again above 10k:

S5EFIG1.jpg

If your amplifier has a high output impedance it may be reacting to the load and the combined response will peak where your ear is most sensitive.

R

P.S.: this is what Atkinson wrote in the technical evaluation:

"Its impedance plot (fig.1) was unusual in that it had a much higher magnitude in the treble than in the midrange. While the latter ranged between 3.9 and 9 ohms, the impedance above 1kHz didn't drop below 10 ohms, and for much of the time remained above 20 ohms. As a result, if a tube amplifier with a typically high source impedance is used with the Spendor, the speaker's frequency balance will suffer tilted-up high frequencies."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-s5e-loudspeaker-measurements

Hence the golden rule: get an amplifier that can (adequately) drive your speakers.

The S5e is pretty flat in the treble and doesn't exhibit any nasty resonances in the upper-mid or lower treble:

S5efig8.jpg

That's not what I'm seeing. The CSD above 10kHz and just below 20kHz looks poorly damped. Likewise the cluster around 6kHz. The combined effect of underdamped overshoot at those frequencies would give the impression of a hashy treble.

P.S.: this is what Atkinson wrote in the technical evaluation:

"Its impedance plot (fig.1) was unusual in that it had a much higher magnitude in the treble than in the midrange. While the latter ranged between 3.9 and 9 ohms, the impedance above 1kHz didn't drop below 10 ohms, and for much of the time remained above 20 ohms. As a result, if a tube amplifier with a typically high source impedance is used with the Spendor, the speaker's frequency balance will suffer tilted-up high frequencies."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/spendor-s5e-loudspeaker-measurements

Hence the golden rule: get an amplifier that can (adequately) drive your speakers.

That's interesting. It could be why I found Spendor S5es a bit 'shouty' in my system when driven by a Jadis Orchestra. I didn't think the two bass units were terribly well integrated either. I could hear the crossover point where the second bass driver came into play.

Sorry to sound so negative about these speakers but I found them disappointing, particularly as I really like classic Spendors.

Not sure what all this technical stuff really means exactly. I would have thought the Avondale monoblovks I'm using would have no trouble driving these??
As I said the marantz player changes things somewhat, but at the disadvantage of losing the detail of the arcam?
I'm not sure what the specs are of the avondales without delving inside or talking to Les at Avondale.

That's not what I'm seeing. The CSD above 10kHz and just below 20kHz looks poorly damped. Likewise the cluster around 6kHz. The combined effect of underdamped overshoot at those frequencies would give the impression of a hashy treble.

I agree but the resonances are some +12dB down, audible perhaps (to some people) but not unbearable.
I'm guessing that his previous speakers performed at a similar level.

That's interesting. It could be why I found Spendor S5es a bit 'shouty' in my system when driven by a Jadis Orchestra. I didn't think the two bass units were terribly well integrated either. I could hear the crossover point where the second bass driver came into play.

Sorry to sound so negative about these speakers but I found them disappointing, particularly as I really like classic Spendors.

These post-Hughes' Spendors (and that includes the Classic line) do not perform at the same level as the "originals".

Such as?? Looking to upgrade cd player in future anyhow, looking at s/h cd5x or rega Saturn moneywise?
Thanks.

As in anything else two wrongs don't make a right so I suggest that you deal with your speaker "problem" first and foremost or you'll just be throwing your money into a black hole.

While I'm at it, here's another piece of advice: ignore magazine reviews (but you can read the technical evaluation page).

And that makes it three golden rules. :cool:

If you want to keep the speakers, get a decent equaliser ;) A Marantz EQ551 can be had cheaply, or maybe a JVC Sea-80 if you wanna spend a bit more.

Such as?? Looking to upgrade cd player in future anyhow, looking at s/h cd5x or rega Saturn moneywise?
Thanks.
if i were you id make sure if its either the source or the speakers to blame for the brightness

maybe ur previous speaker sinply wasnt resolving enough to show the source brightness. ect ect

fwiw all the spendor ive heard was indeed bit brightish

The majority of modern speakers are voiced with hot treble and should be aimed straight down the room, not aimed at the listener

I looked over the measurements from stereophile and agree its not something i would have expected from that data. Even though the waterfall plot is a bit messy, its initial decay is clean. I am not sure the resonances below 12db are audible. One aspect that would be interesting to find out is the higher than average impedance above 10khz. Curious wether this would be stressful on an amp. Having such a high impedance and being so reactive over the bandwidth.

advertisement

Back