advertisement

Priti Patel: Undisclosed Meetings in Israel

https://politicaltheatrics.wordpress.com/category/hasbara/

A quick note about that site: "The author is not set in the left or right political paradigm,neither standing with Democrats or Republicans – instead, acting independently and away from the poisonous political ‘koolaid’.". So apart from being (likely) an American, they dare not reveal the truth about themselves and we have to trust that they are objective. :)

A quick Google reveals some of the other places that have used the article:

"jewssansfrontieres.blogspot.com" - I think I can guess the overall theme for that one.

and the one you'll really like:

"A Guide to Hasbara Trolls" - https://forum.davidicke.com/showthread.php?t=191325. David Icke! YAY!

I wonder which site Merlin got it from...

[Edit]

Too slow in googling and typing.

People keep mentioning their "ignore list," and I don't know what this is. Is it something one holds in one's bosom, or is there a button for it somewhere on the website?

I think it is something one tells somebody they are being added to, when that somebody has said something one objects to. The effect is somewhat undermined when one subsequently tells the same somebody that they are to be (again) added to said list, thereby indicating that the first threat was not carried out.

People rarely announce when they have removed somebody from their ignore list, which seems inconsistent to me.

To be fair, I thought merlin's post was an excellent and memorable summary of the tactics employed by propagandists for *any* political cause. I'll certainly keep those four stages in mind when I'm engaged in political debate. The sources may tell us something about merlin's browsing habits and predispositions but that doesn't invalidate the message (broadly interpreted).

I think it is something one tells somebody they are being added to, when that somebody has said something one objects to. The effect is somewhat undermined when one subsequently tells the same somebody that they are to be (again) added to said list, thereby indicating that the first threat was not carried out.

People rarely announce when they have removed somebody from their ignore list, which seems inconsistent to me.

Ah, so it is all in the bosom! A bit childish, like "you are not my friend any more" in primary school.

Thanks, Sue!

Ah, so exactly the types of extremist blogsites and other detritus that would justifiably attract criticism if cited!

Assumption is the mother of ignorance. It's actually a blog post that was posted on Facebook by a friend in Japan which I found to be particularly concise and got the point across superbly. If the truth is extremism then we have a problem.

Getting the point across is one thing, but was it valid? Did you check the sources?

Getting the point across is one thing, but was it valid? Did you check the sources?

No. And to be frank I don't worry about the sources if they post a simple truth. As a simple truth I would consider it to be valid. There is no human justification IMO for the defence of the Israeli State. To care about the source would, to some, have meant that the words of Nelson Mandela or Malcolm X should have been kept out of discussion.

The source is irrelevant to me - just as the source that told me the world is round is irrelevant to me.

And how, pray, would you define a simple truth? Something you haven't checked but with which you agree?

Show me an apologist for Israeli atrocities who does not use the code.

I've been on social media for in excess of a decade and the only people I ignore are the apologists. I'm in that tiny minority that looks for facts and reads the UN resolutions.

So, in fact, the source is important to you. I fully agree, which is why I have little time for the rabid sites so often quoted on this forum.

Mind you, I'm not convinced the world is round. Have you ever noticed on the flight to Bangkok how there is usually turbulence over eastern India and Bangladesh, and how it smooths out one you're half-way across Myanmar? I'm sure that's because the world is actually square, India/Bangladesh/Myanmar lie across one edge and the buffeting is caused by jet streams from one side meeting jet streams from the adjoining one. Either that, or it's God's revenge on airline breakfasts.

:)

A fair point. Source first when unfamiliar with subject matter, less so when only too familiar with it.

People keep mentioning their "ignore list," and I don't know what this is. Is it something one holds in one's bosom, or is there a button for it somewhere on the website?

It's something that, for some reason, certain people feel the need to bang on about. I'd have thought the whole point of an ignore list was to, well, ignore people. But then, as Morrissey sang:

I do Joe, but have cleared all Cookies etc from my devices hence my having to log on each time I visit. Sometimes I see posts. After many years of fighting the fight, I realised a while ago it just wasn't worth engaging with the Israeli shills. I do however have very strong views on the hypocrisy extended to the Israeli state and its crimes which I will air in defence of the defenceless.

Well then there is something immensely rude, in addition to silly, about declaring one has an "ignore list." Like sitting down with a group of 10 people and saying to two of them "I'm going to ignore anything you two say." "I'm not going to play with you any more!"

^^indeed! I am, allegedly, on a certain person's ignore list. Presumably because he finds my posts unpalatable. He prefers, I presume, to occupy his own bubble where only people whose views he finds agreeable will speak.

Actually, it suits me, as his remonstrations have all too often disrupted a thread I was participating in, while themselves adding nothing of value beyond 'I really dislike what you say'.

I do Joe, but have cleared all Cookies etc from my devices hence my having to log on each time I visit. Sometimes I see posts. After many years of fighting the fight, I realised a while ago it just wasn't worth engaging with the Israeli shills. I do however have very strong views on the hypocrisy extended to the Israeli state and its crimes which I will air in defence of the defenceless.

Maybe, but do you have to keep reminding us about your ignore list?

advertisement

Back