advertisement

Old Philips 520 Integrated amp - where should I start?

Still haven't powered it on. Lots of good advice. I will probably blow out the dust (if any) from the inside, and work the sliders back and forth many times before I switch it on. Any particular reason why Dexoit - what about switch cleaner or WD40 instead?

I've developed a bad habit using brand names. Caig Deoxit appears to encompass a range of contact cleaner, enhancer, and protector products these days and, yes, the prices are OTT. Apparently none of them contain the magic ingredient oleic acid anymore so some diehard antique radio restorers are rolling there own. I've been using a very old Radio Shack contact cleaner and lubricant spray product for years; so old that the labels on the tins are paper!
Craig, do you gently acquaint your old bit of kit with the mains by powering it up with a similar 'load' in series with it either via a variac or by way of the low power incandescent bulb trick?

No, I just flick them on, preferably, with them plugged into the sellers 'speakers and well before handing over payment. If they are really ancient, I stand back a few feet and let the seller turn them on!:)

Seriously though, although I am nowhere near the level of expertise of the real boffins on here like Robert, Arkless Repairs, toprepairman, etc. I have fashioned an in-series lamp using a ceramic socket and electrical wall outlet similar to the one described in this video. I also use the highest wattage incandescent bulb I have (200w) for the same reason expressed in the video...

Edit: As many in the UK grew up with having to install plugs on everything from lamps through kitchen appliances to stereo gear, I'm sure that the average UK DIY'er will know that typically the brown wire is live, blue is neutral (referred to as 'common' in the video), and green/yellow is earth.

Last edited:
I just haven't had time to breath lately! Anyway, I cleared the dust out from the inside (it wasn't that dusty tbh) and sprayed Deoxit over moving parts in preparation for the big switch on.

I know through experience of getting individual keys to work on keyboards that Deoxit does wonders, but you need to leave it to soak in and work its magic over 24 if not 48 hours first, then hey presto the key makes electrical contact once more with the board and you have the full qwerty.

Looks pretty clean in there; no bulgy/leaky caps or burnt looking resistors.

Another tip that comes to mind is having a pair of throw away 'workbench' speakers to hand. I have a few pairs of old Realistic Minimus 7; although they are almost too good to risk, they are nice to listen to in the near field on a workbench. Well, not so nice if you get pure DC coming through them!

Oh my, that is lovely!

Can you hear it begging for one of these to play with?

20.jpg

So we've seen the lights on does it actually play into speakers?
Yesterday I had my Tandberg TR200 receiver on the bench. Bought 45 years ago at Uni. Lovely build quality. Bit of switch cleaner on pots and switches and it's as good as new.

Ah yes, DIN speaker sockets/plugs; perfectly logical in design, if not always in execution.

As the amp hasn't been used for ages, I'd give those speaker sockets a scrub with pipe cleaners dampened with contact cleaner. Barring that, (or in addition to) reseating the plugs a few times will scrape clean the actual points of contact.

Looking forward to your 'review'.

I bought my 312 Electronic from Comet. It was around £62 with the cartridge. Lovely deck and sonics were excellent.

Well it's working - playing music just fine!

I was put off to begin with using the first setup shown below because I could hear interference / clicking noises when playing the Chromecast via a battery - but the second setup using quality equipment had no such effect.

I have a feeling that the 'intelligent' battery from RavPower was causing the interference - beware ye that think battery power is clean!!

£62 for a 312 was a fantastic deal ! The Philips decks were certainly among the coolest in the shops at the time.
Did yours have one of Philips' own MMs on?

And that little switchmode regulator is very pollutant in terms of switching noise which is plainly audible through this vintage amp. Are there any portable batteries that are noise free?

Caig Deoxit is very good but it's a hell of a price compared to "normal" switch cleaner.. like £20 ish a tin IIRC compared to £2.50 ish...

I’ve actually got three cans of it; D5, Gold G5, and Faderlube! I fugure they’ll last me for the rest of my life so what the hell! It is really good stuff IMO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
£62 for a 312 was a fantastic deal ! The Philips decks were certainly among the coolest in the shops at the time.
Did yours have one of Philips' own MMs on?
Yes the Philips cartridge 412 iirc. A Pioneer PL12D £45 new The Philips a jump up in price and quality. Those cartridge were/are decent.

advertisement

Back