advertisement

Cost saving

Regardless of the fact of remember or not to tax your car and the continued debate about how to collect VED, it was more the simple massive failure that struck me.

The government scraps tax discs to make a projected saving of £10M, plus probably some additional revenue because the tax doesn't transfer to a new owner on sale. However they end up losing £107M after going digital, two-thirds more than before. So they save £10M plus a bit but lose £75M.

So I guess the loss is around £50M a year - that gives a loss 5 times greater than they were supposed to save!

If it wasn't broken in the first place...

I am guilty of letting it expire and then getting a free month on quite a few occasions since the discs were stopped.

That's becasue I'm rock n roll. I just don't care.
I thought you had to either pay the tax, or end up being fined, unless you complete a SORN. Do you have a work around?

I thought you had to either pay the tax, or end up being fined, unless you complete a SORN. Do you have a work around?
The fines seem to come much later. I did get a fine once for 80 snots. But I had let it lapse by about 3 months.

It's dodgy though because by going to the PO and buying one for that month onwards is a risk if your car was clocked by a camera in the month you are trying to skip.

It's the small victories that count though. I have one from Dartford tunnel, as I was driving my belongings to my new home in Strasbourg. I knew nothing of paying tolls online. Never known of it anywhere else and felt slightly pissed off that it went from £3 to loads and then loads more in my absence. So I'm not paying that either.

advertisement

Back