advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about what this feature does.

We measure the distortion of each DEVDAC PCB and loaded the resultant coefficients into the ESS and cancel the distortion - this cancellation mode can be Enabled or Bypassed.

As each PCB distortion is different we need to calibrate each board which is time consuming. The calibration coefficients are stored on a local EEPROM on the DEVDAC PCB which can then be read by the system MCU and used to programmer the ESS.

Thanks John

I'm interested in DEVDAC purchase (already paid for the streamer board) to participate in streamer software development / testing, but I don't like idea of paying 300GBP for the component which would end up in basement shelf after MDAC2 is shipped. :(
I have a need for decent quality office DAC, and I believe DEVDAC would fit nicely, but I'm concerned with additional effort/cost involved to transform DEVDAC into Standalone DAC.
What would be the the minimum "investment" for this transformation? DAC between office PC and headphones?

Cheers!
Branislav

Branislav,

Once the Streamer PCB is relocated to the MDAC2, we plan to offer a DEDAC XMOS board that enables standalone operation with USB, Optical & Coax input for about GBP100 - or a DEVDAC optimized streamer board for ~ GBP250.

John, would you recommend the the DDA variant for driving a pair of Active Monitors with a 20ohm balanced input? I'm leaning towards the better analogue stage for this purpose.

Please confirm you meant to say 20Kohms not 20ohms!!! :)

Bare PCB's for the Streamer and DevDAC boards are arriving on Tuesday (subject to customs clearance) - and the first 20Pcs of MiniStreamer Chassis are in production and should arrive with 2 weeks.

I'll work on costings (with shipping to be charged when ready to ship). We will send PayPal invoices with the next 24 hours to those on the list for the "Developer" units as I need to forward funds for components etc.

So finally the first LakeWest designs will be shipped with the next 30 days :)

I've been working on the MDAC2 DD2A design with much time talking with component manufactures for the various custom components.

John, please count me in for a standalone MiniStreamer! It sounds good to play around over christmas time and make some comparisons with auralic stuff.

So finally the first LakeWest designs will be shipped with the next 30 days :)

Great news John. Please note I will need my stuff in Germany before the 12 Dec otherwise I will have to pay customs in Canada.

Hopefully it will all go OK.

Cheers!

PCB's reserved for the "Developers addition" DEVDAC & Streamer from the first production batch to be shipped in the next 30 days:-

Rune
Hluga
Stephen Grenfell
Jadidih101

Standalone MiniStreamer:-

Jadidih101
KevinNZ
Jansen

Last edited:
All MDAC2 versions can drive 20K with no problem - the output impedance of the DD2A varies with level setting - I can post exact impedance's soon.

Please tell us what the output voltage will be too - the current 3V unbalanced is the absolute minimum I need, but I ideally I'd like 4V or even more.

BTW, if I used an XLR to RCA interconnect from the MDAC's balanced outputs, would I get 6V or 3V?

Please tell us what the output voltage will be too - the current 3V unbalanced is the absolute minimum I need, but I ideally I'd like 4V or even more.

BTW, if I used an XLR to RCA interconnect from the MDAC's balanced outputs, would I get 6V or 3V?

You cannot take the MDAC's balanced output and feed them into a single ended input as the balanced outputs are not truly floating...

With MDAC2 DD2A you can use the balanced outputs and feed them into a single ended input with x2 level swing (4Vrms)

Yes - noted... You will have first boards / units :)

Great. Thanks.

Any ideas yet on the Power Supply for the devdac+streamer? I remember you mentioned something with 10V and 1amp. Do you have a recommendation, or for that matter anyone has a recommendation?

Also, what PS adapter will there be with stand alone streamer?

With MDAC2 DD2A you can use the balanced outputs and feed them into a single ended input with x2 level swing (4Vrms)

Okay great! I take it that means the output voltage of the DDA is 2V unbalanced 4V balanced, correct?

Great. Thanks.

Any ideas yet on the Power Supply for the devdac+streamer? I remember you mentioned something with 10V and 1amp. Do you have a recommendation, or for that matter anyone has a recommendation?

Also, what PS adapter will there be with stand alone streamer?

Supplied standard with a wall wart switcher (I'm planning the same 18VDC type as supplied by ProJect with there turntable's). The PSU has exchangeable plug styles - I believe a US type is also supplied, I can confirm on Monday.

Really, a switcher should be nowhere near a HiFi system so a decent linear PSU would be a recommended upgrade.

Last edited:
Supplied standard with a wall wart switcher (I'm planning the same 18VDC type as shipped by ProJect with the turntable's). The PSU has exchangeable plug styles - I believe a US type is also supplied, I can confirm on Monday.

Really, a switcher should be nowhere near a HiFi system so a decent linear PSU would be a recommended upgrade.

Would any of these PSU be any good for the job:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...1117143155&SearchText=linear+power+supply+18v

From the pictures - this PSU looks good, but obviously I cannot guarantee its electrical safety.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...149.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.277b460fZNygo9

The only trouble is that I cannot see an easy way to select 230V/115V AC input.

As long as you don't intend to use large USB powered HDD it will work well.

For the streamer you need 18VDC :- the "Polarity: Inside + Outside - DC plug size: External diameter 5.5mm, internal diameter 2.1mm" lead supplied with the PSU is correct for the streamer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back