advertisement

The resurrected 'things you sold then bought again' thread.

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
I had Spendor S3/5Rs which I sold a few years ago. I replaced them with ATC scm7s I had lying around because the listening set up wasn't as critical for music- listening to the TV. I remember the Spendors rendered timbre beautifully, werent showy in the HF and were excellent with voice. I bought another pair this week. They're lovely- in addition to the qualities above, they image spectacularly and render the recording acoustic extremely well.
Hello old friend.

I’ve got a Quad 303 (actually two) and JR149s to represent the system I started out with back in ‘78, they are even better than I remember, plus I revisited an Onix OA21 recently as I loved the one I had back in the ‘80s. I very briefly let my main system 15” Tannoy Golds go, but that was a huge mistake and rectified within a month or two (I’m actually on pair three now), so I’m not sure if that counts. Kans were my small rented flat room option for many, many years, so I've had a few pairs of those too.

PS As a remarkably picky and obsessive second hand buyer it has taken me a few goes to get the specific example of something I want, plus I’m sitting on a few things as investments (eg. I have four SME 3009s), but I won’t count that.

Naim NAC42.5, now residing in the office system; it's my third and this one's staying!

On my 3rd set of Shahinian Compass, 2nd Roksan Xerxes, 3rd Dynavector P75 and 4th Nait 5/5i. All being used together with my one and only CDS3.

Pioneer A400 and Audio Technical OC5 moving coil cartridge.
Hard to beat for the money.
Easy come easy go. But not so easily replaced with something else - hence the buy again syndrome!

I keep selling and rebuying lp12s. They always disappoint me then a pang if nostalgia for the first time I heard one arises and I do it all over again.

Spendor SP1/2, at least two pair. Ditto DQ-10. Ditto P3ESR. Original Quads three pair.

Over the past forty years I've had probably half a dozen LS3/5a's.

Quad 99 pre-amp & tuner. Had sold them when cutting down to 99 CDP2 & pair of 99 mono power amps. Subsequently intended to sell the CDP & power amps but could not bring myself to do it, so re-purchased tuner from guy to whom I had sold it & bought a newer 99 pre-amp on ebay to make up full set again - & sold my Cyrus kit instead.

I'm not as habituated as some of you. I've only ever bought one piece of hifi kit twice; and that's a Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1.5.

My original example was bought new in the early 90s when cars still had cassette players and I enjoyed making mix tapes. In the late 90s, my then new car had a CD stacker. Together with my quest for the next Naim upgrade, the Nak was part-exchanged for an olive box. I suffered almost immediate regret, especially when the hastily purchased Pioneer CT-95 was nowhere as good.

Whilst I really have no need for a cassette deck, my nostalgic instincts kept reminding me otherwise. A pristine example of the 1.5 became available a couple of months ago. It's now mine. It's even quite possible it was my original, given that I don't think New Zealand sold new Naks beyond the 80s.The giveaway is the aftermarket AC plug, which was the exact one I put on two decades ago.

The only other item I'm inclined to buy back is my Naim NAC52 preamp. I believe I still have first dibs should its current owner wish to sell it.

Linn Ikemi, Linn Genki, Linn Karin/Numerik, Linn Kairn, Linn Majik I, Linn Ninkas, and Linn Katans... I’ve had a total of four Kairns and three pairs of Katans... and as for Kariks, I’ve lost count of those, most of them I’ve bought needing attention and put them right before moving them on again. I’ve had a couple of Rega Planar 3s and actually have two P5s a black and a cherry one in different systems.

Cambridge Audio C/A 75 pre/power amps. Stupidly sold when I moved to Australia back in the 90s - I have been looking ever since for another set, finally got one a year ago...I have not even powered them up yet, LOL :)

advertisement

Back