advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Love Mahler, but with so many references, am I the only one who sometimes struggles to identify which symphony is which? :)

S9IGRir.gif

Today

Messiaen - Eclairs sur l'Au-dela

Morton Feldman - The Rothko Chapel, For Stephan Wolpe, Durations and Coptic Light

Mellow

Today

Unsuk Chin 3 Concertos - Piano, Cello and Su for sheng and orchestra

Stockhausen - Klavierstuckes and Mikrophonies

Suitably cleansed..

Telemann: " Les Nations".
My perceptions of Telemann have shifted with age. When I was a student, his work was delightful, accessible Baroque and I had classmates who shared an interest. I only started listening seriously to him again thirty odd years later and he's no middle of the road Kapellmeister. He is in fact quite nutty and very well connected musically- his old, rich friend Handel wasn't reluctant in lifting his ideas. 'Les Nations' is quite mad, 'The Frogs' even madder. I'd have loved to have met him, what magic he's left behind.

My path with Telemann has been quite similar. A friend gave me a cassette of Telemann sonatas (played on old recorders, ooh, radical) almost 40 years ago, and I've liked his chamber music ever since. I have recently spent more time with his vocal works such as operas, Brockes-Passion and Reformations-Oratorium.

In his day, his reputation as a composer was greater than Bach's.

Today some Bach then prompted by the postings above thanks -

CDs from the Telemann Edition 10 CD Sony box set, which were more enjoyable to me. I will buy a bigger box to go alongside my Scarlatti harpsichord Scott Ross box, the same sort of music with added colour in the Telemann.

Last edited:
Today

Messiaen - Chronochcromie etc

Birtwistle - Secret Theatre, Silbury Air etc

Norma Winstone - Edge of Time (Jazz)

I was very recently given a copy of Murray Perahia’s Bach Partitas on Sony. It is stunning, so much so I immediately ordered the 8xCD box containing his Complete Sony Bach Recordings. I’ve listened to the first Keyboard Concertos disc, the aforementioned Partitas and I’m currently half way through the Goldberg disc. It is just wonderful, a stunning performance and recording. I don’t think I’ve heard a better recorded piano! I’m upstairs with the JR149 system and he’s just playing the thing right in front of me!

PS Can I please ask that folk drop links into their posts for the things they like, images are nice and very welcome, but they don’t generate any revenue at all.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back