advertisement

Your amp history...

Marantz PM55
Quad 606/44
Linn LK1/280(awful)
Rogers integated valve amps(20 & 40 watts)
DPA 50S pre/power
AVI S2000MP/4x monoblocks
Audio Note Oto Se

What a lot of naimies!!

JVC (?) Jazz 11G (C1980)
I tried a nad 3020 but didn't like (1983)
I had ait on approval from AE in Cardiff and it got returned
Instead I had a little QED amp (sorry these details are a lttle sketchy now)
Cyrus 1 (about '92)

I returned to hifi about 5/6 years ago and went throiugh a naim stage (I had a few funds then)
72/140 +flat cap ok but it wasn't soundstaging

Now Dynavox valves. (well modded)

Funds permitting I'd play with valves /valve amps far more. Going back to the Cyrus you certainly notice the difference.

(Funds do not permit.)

1978: (Oct) Quad 33/405
1981: (May) Nytech CTA252 + Nytech power amp for active speakers
1994: (Nov) Naim 32.5/110
2001: (May) Naim 102/Hicap/180
(Sep) Naim 82/Hicap/180
(Dec) Naim 82/Hicap/250
2002: (Mar) Naim 82/Supercap/250 + 2nd 250 for active system
(Jun) Naim 52/Supercap/250x2
2003: (Sep) Naim 52/Supercap/135x2
2005: (Jan) Tom Evans The Vibe/Pulse + Avondale M130 x2
2006: (Mar) Dynavector L100/Avondale M130 x2
2006: (Aug) Dynavector L100/Dynavector HX 1.2
2008: (May) Dynavector L300/Dynavector HX 1.2

So it has been quite a journey, beginning in 1978 at the tender age of 16 with my first real hifi. I'm really pleased with my Dynavector amps and my system as a whole, not least because the box count is way lower than it used to be when I was a Naimee!

Mullard Unilex transistor kit amp (in my teens)
Denon D70 mini-system
Audiolab 8000A (briefly)
Naim NAC72/NAP140 (subsequently added Hi-Cap)
Quad 66/606
AVI S2000MI integrated
ATC CA2/Active 10s

1979- SAE MK30 (used with original Polk audio 7 speakers, proved unreliable).
1983- Yamaha B6 (shaped like a pyramid, seriuos power, able to attain concert level volumes with the Polk speakers- perfect for my college years).
1993- B&K ST1400 (a sweet sounding solid state amp)
1996- Conrad Johnson MV55 (a beautiful EL34 amp, sweet, midrange timbre eerily convincing. Excelled on jazz, classical, rock less so)
2003- Sugden A21a (the grand daddy of British Integrateds, very musical, as close to tubes as possible for SS amp, but also hottest running amp I have owned)
2001- Pass Labs Aleph 30 (famous Nelson pass class A solid state sound, proved to be a little under powered for my needs)
2005- Rega Mira Integrated (My first Rega amp after using a Rega turn table and cdp for years. A pretty good amp. Got due to pratical considerations- less energy consumption, no tube purchases, and simplicity plus freedom from heat and hassle of 3 above amps which for me were desirable in winter and undesirable most of the time. I sought an amp for all seasons)
2008- Rega Elicit second incarnation (My amp for all seasons. Got when first released in US. Has the bit of extra refinement and musicality one expects from a top class British integrated. Alot of my feeling about it is in agreemnet with an online review at six moons audio http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/rega/elicit.html. Loving it with the RS3 speakers and Jupiter 2000 cdp- the combination continues to captivate)

NAIM NAIT
INCA TECH CLAYMORE
QUAD 2/22'S
NVA AP30
ROTEL RA930
CYRUS SL
NAIM NAIT 3
NAIM 92/FLATCAP/2X 90.3
CROFT VITALE/SERIES V
AUDIONOTE OTO
MUSICAL FIDELITY 3A/2X P140
NAIM NAIT5i
NAIM 112/150
NAIM 102/napsc/180
Roksan Kandy

phew all done that is a lot of amp,i think there are too many there.

1992: NAD 3020
1993: Rotel RB80/90 Not sure
1995: Cambridge Audio A1
1999: Exposure VII/VI/Super VIII
2001: Exposure VII/XII/Super VIII
2003: Exposure VII/XII/Dual IV
2004: Exposure XI/XII/Dual IV
2005: Exposure XI/IX/Dual IV
2006: Exposure XI/IX/Dual IV and loaned XVIs
2007: Exposure XI/IX/Dual IV Reg & Un-Reg
2008: Exposure XIV/IX/Dual IV Un-Reg & Reg/loaned XVIIIs
2009: Exposure XIV/IX/XVIs/Mono VIIIs

Although these were my preferred set ups. I also owned, again by Exposure Stereo IV, Single VII, VI PSUs, X/XV integrated amps.

Other amps include, naim nait 1 (blinder of an amp), arcam Alpha 8 & 9

I think thats it, but then again some things are still in boxes from as far back as 8 years ago, will have to open them up to see what is in there.

Some big old Pioneer thing long ago that I remember as sounding nice.
Audiolab 8000a
Sugden A21a in main system now and can't imagine changing it anytime soon :)
Sansui AU101 was in the bedroom.
John Linsley-Hood Stereo 30 in bedroom system now.

Goodmans Module 90 tuner/amp 1977-80
Nytech 252 integrated 1980-89
Exposure X integrated 1989-98
Exposure XX1/XVIII 1998-now
Tom Evans Vibe/Border Patrol power amp 2005-now

I have toyed with the idea of getting a Linear A to complement the Vibe (and the Groove phono amp) but have decided against for various reasons. Possibly.

1972-1975 - some shiny Sansui thing - not bad in hindsight
1975-1977 - some Aiwa thing - much less good
1977-1981 - Harrison/Chapman integrated - not bad - yet to meet anyone else who has ever heard of it
1981-1986 - Naim nac12/snaps/bolt top 250 (best Naim ever made)
1986-2004 - varying quantities of more and more expensive and harsher and harsher Naim black boxes, with decreasing satisfaction levels
2004-present day - discovered the joys of Dynavector and no longer have the itch to look elsewhere; currently L300 and HX1.2

Just found this thread.

I too owned a Harrison Chapman integrated , I beleive it was an S100, back in 1973. It was a fantastic amp IMHO. I used it with my LP12, Grace 707, Sure cart and Studiocraft speakers.

The amp was one of the first toroidal's AFAIK, had touch sensitive input changing 'buttons' and had a great deal of drive. The Harrison then went on to make H&H guitar amps (not so good IMHO)

Rotel RA 820 (you gotta start somewhere)
Lindsley Hood 40 watt Hart Kit passive input with alps pot - Now we're getting somewhere!
Rotel Pre amp with Lindsley Hood 40 watt
Rotel pre amp with 2 Lindsley Hood stereo 40 watt amps - bi amping ! Yeah !
Home made passive with Lindsley Hood 80 watt monos (this is it !)
From then on it was a pre amp thing -
Hafler pre
AVI pre
Linsdley hood 1400 series pre amp - almost as transparent as the passive but without the cable hassle (i.e almost no cables at all).

I am in the process of building another pair of Lindsley Hood monos to bi amp the current system.

All of the Lindsley Hood amps are still in service. I have no idea what it would cost to find a better commercially available alternative.

Sony TA70
JVC JAS11
A&R A60
MF The Preamp/Quad 303
MF Preamp 2A/P170
Naim 112x/150x

The first two were bought and sold over 30 years ago and I just realised how sad I am to have remembered the model numbers for that length of time. I didn't know I had until I tried. I need to reassess what's left of my life.:(

I've just realised that I have never bought an amplifier in my life.

I had home made DIY amps of one sort or another for years, then when I did the design consultancy for Maclaren (the NZ one, not TAG Maclaren) in the 1980s, I got a set of early production kit as part of my payment, and have used those ever since, with some small modifications, and minor refurbishment a couple of years ago - I replaced some caps in the power amps.

I had a little Naim set for a couple of months on loan, and had a Sugden class A for a bit to look at.

Nad 3020

Cyrus 2

Cyrus 2 /PSX

Concordant Excelsior pre/ Concordant Quad 2 's

Concordant Excelsior pre / Concordant Exemplar 100w SS built by L/ Wolstenholm

Concordant Excelsior pre (heavily tweaked) / Audio Innovavation's 2nd Audio Mono's with 2 Border Patrol PSU's

Musical Fidelity X80

Cambridge Audio 740A (present)

Pro-ject amp. My all time favourite. MM & MC input. No tone controls. Exceptionally good with records, as the phono input was pre-eminent in its design. Any company that makes turntables should concentrate on the phono input. Pro-ject did just that. Its line inputs are very good, too. I drive it with a Tascam CD160 player, but it performs brilliantly with my AR XA. The Shure M75ED is superb through it. It's fitted with an Expert Pickups stylus which adds to the fidelity. I have an Audiolab 8000A on my main system, but the Pro-ject is listened to much more on the 2nd system, as my wife watches television a lot... If anyone sees a Pro-ject for saleb buy it ! Martyn Miles

I can think of at least three people who got near-iconic noises out of H&H guitar amps - Marc Bolan, Gary Green (of Gentle Giant) and Wilko Johnson.

I can only speak as I find. I play bass guitar and back in 1975 my rig for my Rickenbacker 4001 was a Hiwatt 100 valve head into a Hiwatt 2x15" cab for the bass part of the signal and an HH 100 head and 2 x 4x12 cabs for the treble part of the signal. All this sounded great but the Hiwatt was the much better amp IMHO. the HH always sounded a bit cold.

One of the guitarists had an Orange 100 head with an Orange 4x12 cab, that really sang.

advertisement

Back