advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all about energy transfer. The old steel subchassis had a lossy connection to the armboard, most of the energy was lost at that barrier. The Keel dissipates energy by having the webbings at different depths and wall thicknesses, but the stylus, bearing and subchassis are all one. We think thats not ideal.

The RubiKon is designed so that the stylus and bearing have seperate energy transfer paths and the resonant frequency of the two elements are different. Energy will be wicked away from the stylus and noise (etc) from the bearing will not travel through the chassis to the stylus.

I think this is a great set up if does sound better than the overly priced Keel. Harbeth has a great way of putting it. A bell rings, put a crack in it and it stops to ring. This design is along the same analogy.

So I have listened and this is what I heard:-

Huge improvement. Bass texture is really significantly improved; treble is sweeter and has much more character. Detail retrieval is massive and vocal inflections are spine tingling. The whole sound is significantly more dynamic in both a macro and micro sense.

David, this is not damped in the same way - in fact, it is not purposefully damped at all. The different elements are intentionally designed to ring at very different frequencies.

I am one happy bunny!

So I have listened and this is what I heard:-

Huge improvement. Bass texture is really significantly improved; treble is sweeter and has much more character. Detail retrieval is massive and vocal inflections are spine tingling. The whole sound is significantly more dynamic in both a macro and micro sense.

David, this is not damped in the same way - in fact, it is not purposefully damped at all. The different elements are intentionally designed to ring at very different frequencies.

I am one happy bunny!

WOW! Is that the first listen ever?

Thats about 1 hours worth of music. Its totally stunning.

Perhaps it should be £2500 :D

Yes, well, err, at least Linn would sell a few of it's Keels, I don't know how many you'd sell tho'? ;)

I am surprised that you have gone through the whole design/manufacture process without making a mock up of one to make sure you are going in the right direction, I'm sure if I were to come up with an idea that's where I would start.

Yes, well, err, at least Linn would sell a few of it's Keels, I don't know how many you'd sell tho'? ;)

I am surprised that you have gone through the whole design/manufacture process without making a mock up of one to make sure you are going in the right direction, I'm sure if I were to come up with an idea that's where I would start.

It was designed to work and it does!

The magnitude of difference is more than when I fitted the Klone in place of the Linn steel one.

It was designed to work and it does!

The magnitude of difference is more than when I fitted the Klone in place of the Linn steel one.

That's good! Funny you should have come up with that idea, when I looked at John R's sole, I thought, the design being as it is, the springs/bushes could've been mounted on the underside thus reducing the bearing/spring interface. Naturally tho' due to it's design other hurdles would need to be overcome.

That's good! Funny you should have come up with that idea, when I looked at John R's sole, I thought, the design being as it is, the springs/bushes could've been mounted on the underside thus reducing the bearing/spring interface. Naturally tho' due to it's design other hurdles would need to be overcome.

TBH we did not look at any one design. We looked at what the subchassis does and how it has an effect on the sound. Many hours were spent discussing what should be done. It was really what the Keel does to energy dissipation that got us thinking.

We did not make a mock up because to confirm that the design works meant putting it into an LP12 at which point you might as well just make the thing and pray that it works!!!!!!!!

And the 2009 PFM award for sheer guts and enthusiasm goes to Andrew "chucks beemer keys around" Popely.

Good luck, Andrew. The world needs men who have the bottle to DO it, not just talk about it.

Nic.

Andrew, does your subchassis work with a standard mdf aro armboard ?

matthias

No, the armboard is inherently part of the design with the RubiKon - the shapes, materials and joining methods are all chosen for very specific reasons.

However, we will be doing an Aro version very, very soon (immediately in fact :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back