advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does the name come from?
The Rubicon is a river in northern Italy that defined the border between Rome and the provinces. Julius Caesar lead an army across it (going south...) in 49BC and 'the die was cast'.

Casts a big shadow down the years, that Caesar chap. A few choice quotes too.

Paul

Crumbs, thick & fast Subchassis for the LP12. There never has been so much going on for the dear old deck in years.

Sounds an interesting one Andrew. The big question is..... will I be 'forced' to upgrade yet again? I've put aside 5p just in case :D

Crumbs, thick & fast Subchassis for the LP12. There never has been so much going on for the dear old deck in years.

Sounds an interesting one Andrew. The big question is..... will I be 'forced' to upgrade yet again? I've put aside 5p just in case :D

Nobody will force you to do anything. You must decide on the evidence supplied.

5p might be a tad optimistic though ;)

VERY VERY interesting - certainly quite different. I presume the metal is bonded where it is not screwed together.

Keen to hear an independant review (happy to offer my services for that) and pricing.

I really hope it delivers sonically.

Just spotted the two holes - presumably they are alignment holes for the bonding.

CJ

Not screwed anywhere. Arm and bearing on different layers of ally.

Pricing not confirmed yet but north of £500.

We expect it to sound better than the Keel.

And yes, an independant review is lined up already, but thanks for the offer.

That is a very clever idea andrew, are the seperate laminates water cut?

is that an aluminium armboard?

Why do you expect it to outperform the keel?

You say there are no screws so presumably the armboard screws are just locators until the armboard glue sets?

Looking at the last pic it looks like the armboard screws are permanent as the armboard looks like it is on standoffs.

Mmm... pricing seems high though

CJ

That is a very clever idea andrew, are the seperate laminates water cut?

is that an aluminium armboard?

Why do you expect it to outperform the keel?

You say there are no screws so presumably the armboard screws are just locators until the armboard glue sets?

All CNC machined.

The energy transfer is designed to seperate the stylus from the bearing unlike the Keel where it is all one.

Sorry yes, the aluminium armboard is screwed onto one of the plates, the bearing bolts onto the other one.

Mmm... pricing seems high though

CJ

Remember this is a business venture not a group buy. I have to pay for indemnity insurance, packing, CE all that kind of stuff. It is also labour intensive to build and finish. Its also CNC machined just like the Keel and the Keel is how much?

Perhaps they are rivets of some sort?

Anyhow most certainly a different take on the subchassis & once again another very professional finish.

The pricing has not shocked me, I expected it to be in Greenstreet territory. If it turns out cheaper then great!

But the Greenstreet is a clone and is sub £500.

My brain says that I can get a Keel for less than £500 - cool. Massive Linn development costs but much cheaper price. The RubiKon cannot piggyback on that devlopment effort so it is much more of a 'risk'. Will be very much review dependant, therefore. That is my logic anyway!

CJ

The energy transfer is designed to seperate the stylus from the bearing unlike the Keel wher it is all one.

But wouldn't that mean that the original LP12 steel pressed subchassis with not-too-tight screws connecting the armboard would also sound better than the Keel? In my experience this is definitely not the case, so I don't understand the basis of the claim here.
Not stirring, just trying to understand the thinking behind this new design, and I'm all for new designs and improvements, rather than 'Klones'!

Mick

But the Greenstreet is a clone and is sub £500.

My brain says that I can get a Keel for less than £500 - cool. Massive Linn development costs but much cheaper price. The RubiKon cannot piggyback on that devlopment effort so it is much more of a 'risk'. Will be very much review dependant, therefore. That is my logic anyway!

CJ

The RubiKon has had lots of development time. Its a ground up new design and is therefore not piggybacked on anything.

Proof of the pudding will be in the listening.

But wouldn't that mean that the original LP12 steel pressed subchassis with wood screws connecting the armboard would also sound better than the Keel? In my experience this is definitely not the case, so I don't understand the basics of the claim here.
Not stirring, just trying to understand the thinking behind this new design, and I'm all for new designs and improvements, rather than 'Klones'!

Mick
Its all about energy transfer. The old steel subchassis had a lossy connection to the armboard, most of the energy was lost at that barrier. The Keel dissipates energy by having the webbings at different depths and wall thicknesses, but the stylus, bearing and subchassis are all one. We think thats not ideal.

The RubiKon is designed so that the stylus and bearing have seperate energy transfer paths and the resonant frequency of the two elements are different. Energy will be wicked away from the stylus and noise (etc) from the bearing will not travel through the chassis to the stylus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back