advertisement

What is a good reference speaker for use with Naim electronics?

Rob Sinden

I’m trying to arrange a permanent reference system for comparison with the stereos we sell. Naim electronics seem to be a familiar, well regarded reference point so I would like to find a current, good quality conventional speaker that many people will be familiar with. Total retail price of system is to be around £15k.

What speakers would you suggest we use?

I've heard the WB Acts a few times but the other speakers seem pretty thin on the ground around here. Nothing from B&W or MA?

B&W dont really work with naim IMO. MA's OK for low cost speaker with good build quality. Art are also highly regarded but may go beyond the set budget.

neat and kudos were the same company once but now follow their own design ideas. theres a few S/H ex-dem units floating around. fancy swapping my Supernait, naim equivalent to the TDAI for a CD1 :)

You might like a pair of Shahinians -- could lose a few sales though so better to have something from Dynaudio of B&W ;->

cheers
Jason

Thanks for the help but I'm looking for some higher end Naim electronics to compare to the TDA.

I should be hearing some Shahinans soon but regardless of how good they I'm after something a bit more conventional for A/B shoot outs.

a well respected dealer of lyngdorf and naim puts the SN with hicap ahead of the TDA. the SN/HC2 combo's an excellent system with sensitive speakers.

where you starting from 282/250/CDX2 or 252/300/CDS3?

Several people have recently chopped much more expensive Naim systems for Lyngdorf alternatives - which is why I want to beable to offer A/B dems here between the two options. Commercially however the continual upgrade path with Naim electronics may have something to do with which products dealers recommend.

i understand rob, i had a hicap on my supernait and really liked what it did, then i when to listen to the TDAI.... :)

if your wanting to put the TDAI/SDA/CD1/PD-1/BW-1 up against naim i would go for a complete system including their own speakers. a setup of 252/300/CDS3/SL2 would be interesting to hear against lyngdorfs as this is naims higher end, almost affordable system. if your planning in demming against the millennium IV then you need a NAP500

some Neat MF9 have just come up in the classifieds

At the HiFiWigWam show earlier in the year, one of the nicest sounding systems (a lot of opinions including several people who had a pre-judged anti-Naim bias) was AdamK's 52/300/MF7

I had no idea Control 1 were so good ,my pair cost £29.99 at Richer Sound when they had a promo a couple of years ago.(how come they sound crap)

I have tried Linn Keilidhs, which are fine, and am currently using Credo's.

One of the best pair of speakers I have heard for years on Naim equipment are Guru QM 10's.

I definitely want to try a pair of them at home.

Jack

jackbarron:

Could you tell us what you liked about the Guru QM 10's? I'm in the market for speakers, and I'm pretty curious about these.

advertisement

Back