advertisement

Entrusted, NAC42.

sq225917

Bit of this, bit of that
SO in my hunt to acquire suitable casing for a Naim Pre-amp power supply and Phonostage I purchased a 42 the other day.

it was a bit scruffy, yellowed on the dials, dirty on the inside and outside, generally unloved and in need of a real clean and a general spruce up with isopropyl and Servisol.

So now that i've done that, stripped it, cleaned everything, replaced some old caps, bypased a few more, re-soldered a few dry joints and generally bought it back up to date I actually feel kinda guilty at splitting the innards away from the sleeve. Don't get me wrong, it's going to happen, but I almost feel like I've been entrusted with a little bit of audio history and that I'm doing something bad....

So I'd like to salvage some consolation, and cash, from this by offering the various parts out.

SO does anyone need any bits from a 42?
Main PCB
Metal front plate

let me know, with offers otherwise i'll wrap it all up carefully for posterity.

And just because it could be done...the Main pcb actually spruces up pretty well with a little extra rail decoupling and a few suitable cap replacements: Uber NAC42? You might be surprised at how good it can sound...

Well a little bit of ingenuity and the application of some dental floss the front fascia has been parted from the rest of the tray. Without so much as the merest hint of a bend being imparted to it, it's flatter that a quite flat thing.

42_fascia.jpg

Neil, i've already bypassed the 'decouplers' and swapped the feedback cap on the gain section with wima'd-silmics and it sounds pretty good, a little furry in the bass and tonally bleached once things gets busy compared to the uber72, but it's more than passable.

How good do you think yours sounds in fully modded guise?

How good do you think yours sounds in fully modded guise?

That on has all the extra decoupling found on my 321 and 729 cards - though the buffer circuit is of course the 324 circuit. In addition the gain circuits are upgraded to 82 spec...it would give the Flatnac a good run for its money....and those that prefer the 324 over the 729 (there are a few around) would probably think it better...

...we may get to hear a long term listening test, Colscot has it as a single input amp for PC based audio in his office.

Yeh i was thinking along those lines, no reason why a 42 shouldn't run a 72 really close with a full set of mods..

I think it's only the limited input situation that holds it back.

advertisement

Back