advertisement

Steely Dan

Basil

Harbethian
I caught some on the radio yesterday and decided it was high time I bought a few of their records, any suggestions?

The greatest hits comps are a good way to go.

Otherwise my suggestions would be first album "Can't Buy A Thrill", "Royal Scam" and "Aja". Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" also a classic LP

I got all of them all sadly. The song that stands out for me personally like a sore thumb really is "Here at the western world". Trouble is it is on a compilation of steely Dan called Gold

i know which ones i do not play that's Royal scam and i manage always three tracks only of Katie lied. The obvious ones .

"cant by a Thrill" still a huge favourite here just for "Brooklyn owes the charmer over me"

"knock twice rap with the cane"

Hi Basil.

I'm surprised this compilation isn't in one of the Stupify threads by now ...

Dave.

Personal opinion OK.

I'm a right sucker for making compilation Cd's I cant jell the what i call two steely Dans Together on one CD.

Can anyone understand what i mean here? There is the 70's period its like there's a before and after "Aja".

I don't even want to combine the two on a listening session Best way I can explain it is. I cant play "Pretzel Logic" then "Two against nature". Feels like two different era's two different commodities to me.

Its a bit like i suppose if you like "Kind of blue" Its pretty understandable if you don't go a bundle on "in a silent way" By Miles Davis.

Its a bit like i suppose if you like "Kind of blue" Its pretty understandable if you don't go a bundle on "in a silent way" By Miles Davis.

It depends how broad your taste in music is?

Speaking as someone who likes both KOB and Tutu by Miles, I'd say mine is pretty broad!

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm one of those who can appreciate all of Miles ouput as well as the 'Dans various guises.
The recent compilation 'Showbiz Kids' gives a good representation of Steely Dan across time including the later albums- and gives you the latest re-mastered output which to my ears doesn't suffer as much as some other bands re-relases.
I will say that the 180gm release of Aja that came out last year is a bit 'relaxed' when compared to my original ABC pressing.

My favourites would be - everything they've done apart from Haitian Divorce - which for some reason I hate with a passion

I am surprised. I remember some heavy Steely Dan bashing on this forum in earlier days. Things have changed obviously. I not a big fan myself, but saw no reason for that negativity.

Funnily enough "Haitian Divorce" would be one of my favourites - great guitar solo and lyrics... "...now we dolly back, now we fade to black.."

And BTW I have a hard time deciding which of KoB and IaSW I like best, couldn't manage without either and Tutu pretty indispensable to me too but hasn't aged as well.

i like SD. I remember buying CD2E in what must have been 76/77. i must have been living in a bubble but i thought everyone had the back catalogue squashed together gathering dust

"...now we dolly back, now we fade to black.."

Lyrically can't fault it - lot's of smart lines in their songs - it's one of their strengths - I'm particularly fond of "Babe you look delicious and you're standing really close - but this is lower east side and you're talking to a ghost" - very Chandleresque

I think it's the cheesy, 'rubber tube in the gob' guitar effect - I don't like that crappy vocoder effect that Madge et al overused a couple of years ago either (apart from when Laurie Anderson or Alison Goldfrapp use it)

Must be one of my 'little eccentricities'

FranzD - I suspect that there was a bit of "overplayed Hifi shop demo disc" backlash going on- it's good to see they've survived that better than Dire Straits or Sade

I liked them up to the one before Private Investigations.

Is it ok to admit to liking "Telegraph Road"?

My favourite has always been their first - Can't Buy A Thrill. Though that's probably not a typical Dan album - they seemed to more of a collective then, as opposed to the duo with session musicians they became.

I'm surprised none of you book worms. Have not hunted down the Steely Dan Bible ! well it feels like one to hold. Its the story of steely Dan has some interesting bits right from the start Donald Mocks himself.

There's interesting section how they record those guitar solos. All is not at it seems, as they are painstaking put together note for note till its right. This is why I suppose when you here it live its not quite the same. Mark Knopfler gets a mention for his guitar solo on Gaucho "Time Out of Mind". they said to him apparently You can do it better than that and the lad took it the wrong way the book says.

There is an interesting bit about how Peg was constructed and the drum loop they used.

Hunt the book down its a huge read.

Did you know one anomaly about Steely Dan recording is they lay the drum track down first! Imagine how weird that must be especially for the drummer.

My mate saw Dire straits live. loads of people walking out through boredom sadly he said. I said was it ? He said yes! It was not going anywhere it all sounded very yawnish.

Steely Dan - a body of work to stand comparison with the very best. Impossible to suggest a starting point beyond one of the later compilations which includes some tracks by the re-born Dan.

I could do you a compilation if you like?

Quite frankly, with Steely Dan you should simply acquire the entire back catalogue. And personally speaking I would start with Aja.

advertisement

Back