advertisement

Hidden Gems. Recommendations please

jimbob75

pfm Member
Recently I've found it a bit of an effort to choose an album from my collection to listen to - too many evenings have been wasted with an early night when I should be pouring myself a generous single malt and settling down to some tunes. I'd love to hear some suggestions from fellow music lovers since the critics tend to regurgitate the same albums over and over, and there must be hundreds of classic albums that have fallen off the critical radar.

To give an idea of my tastes, I love Dylan, Van Morrison, Tom Waits, early Stones, a lot of Blues stuff, Doors, early Neil Young, The Band, Joni Mitchell, John Martyn, later period Richard Thompson, etc... Desert island discs would have to include Kind of Blue, Moondance, Exile on Main St and Rain Dogs. Recent stuff I've enjoyed includes Fleet Foxes, Ray LaMontagne, Felice Brothers & Ry Cooder's latest.
I have an aversion to prancing cock-rockers, dance, hip-hop or commercial pop, and to try and narrow things down a bit let's avoid Classical and Jazz.

So many albums out there, so little time (especially with an expanding family). So is anyone on my wavelength and can they recommend something that I may not necessarily stumble across myself? Nothing too esoteric please, and preferably fairly easy to obtain on CD format.

Jim

Jim,

Dust down 'Hawks & Doves' by Neil Young, if you haven't already. One of the most unregarded of his LP's - I think it's great. Especially 'The Old Homestead'.

If you love Joni (and, lets face it, who doesn't) you might appreciate Judee Sill. Her first, self titled LP, is easily available from Amazon and is very good indeed.

edit: Judee Sill Live MP3's here

Cheers fellas, not heard the Neil / Joni albums or any Josh Rouse - will investigate.

Recently discovered Steely Dan after getting into (and loving) Fagen's The Nigthfly!

I'm on that wavelength too. The bands I've enjoyed most over the past few years which you may not have on your list I would suggest (pretty much in order):

Soft hearted scientists
Low (Secret name, Things we lost in the fire, The great destroyer)
Flotation toy warning
Neutral milk hotel
Andrew Bird
Jim White
Espers

Thanks both, most of those names are new to me. Will check out the clips later since I can't access youtube at work.

Neil Young at Massey hall if you don't have it.
Seasick Steve.
Richmond Fontaine (kinda M wardy)
Elliot Smith
Feist, (could be abit pop for you.)
Ffion Regan
Joe Purdy,
Fiona Apple, (youtube her)

Blues influenced rock (Not Cock Rock ;-)).....Black Keys
Folk (y) Nick Drake (If not owned already).....Kings of Convenience, Scott Matthews (New album due)
Ray Lamontagne new album out soon....Yippee
I second Seasick Steve.....Dog House music ...havent heard his most recent one yet.
Ben Haper, personally I think his first album 'Welcome to the cruel world' is the best.

Nope, but I suspect I may like them. Any particular albums?
'Feats Don't Fail me now', 'Dixie Chicken' and 'Sailin' Shoes' are all great. All cheap through Amazon resellers, too. Might be worth giving one of them a go. Sorta swampy, funky, bluesy, rock with great, often genuinely witty, lyrics. They have this kind of slinky vibe all their own (possibly due to the enormous amounts of drugs they consumed).

Re. Little Feat , It's 'Time loves a hero' and 'Down on the farm' for me. Over the years I've managed to obtain the Japanese and special Nautilus Superdisc pressings of 'Time loves a hero'. I'd put it on a list of all - time favourites; I love the cover art work too.

Roy

Good stuff! Just the kinda recommendations I'm after. Particularly like that Long Distance Love track - very soulful voice.

Lots more to check out, cheers everyone!

advertisement

Back