advertisement

Expert stylus

Carl Nyqvist

pfm Member
How does a retipped or fully renovated Troika compare to the original? Any other options than Expert Stylus?

Thanks

Carl

Superb company, superb results when they retipped my Troika.

Benz use them to retip their cartridges.

Both Wynham and Paul are as the company says expert.

M

You could use somebody else but you'd be mad to.

I most recently had my troika retipped by Esco and its superb. The previous official Linn job was done by Goldring and was never in the same league as the ESCO job.

Wouldn't hesitate to go there again.

Hi Carl, How are you!

Can't say for a Troika, but had a Klyde retipped a few years ago, and the result was superb, better than the original IMO (they used a different shaped diamond, which may explain the difference). In additioon, Paul is very helpful!
you can go for them, Carl!

Jean-Christophe

Twenty years ago, I had an accident when tightening up a brand new Troika and bent the cantilever at its telescopic point (where it mates with the coil assembly.

I sent the Troika to Expert Pickups asking if the brand new diamond could be used on a replacement cantilever. it came back looking like new.

The re-furbished Troika sounded a little brighter (more neutral in balance) than a typical original, which is slightly dull, but it retained all the qualities so beloved of this model and lasted at least as well too.

Unless I'm mistaken - correction, apparently I am, Linn themselves used this firm for a while when offering exchanges on Karms and Troikas, sending "traded in" ones to Expert Pickups for refurbishment and tip replacements.

If you're really attached to your Karma or Troika and don't want to try a more modern design with better tracking ability, I can't recommend this outfit highly enough. I understand they work wonders on Denon DL103's too, fitting "proper" modern tips to them.

Twenty years ago, I had an accident when tightening
Unless I'm mistaken, Linn themselves used this firm for a while when offering exchanges on Karms and Troikas, sending "traded in" ones to Expert Pickups for refurbishment and tip replacements.

You are mistaken - Linn have only ever offered this service through Goldring and the write up of it is to say the least "mixed".

Goldring also make the current crop of cartridges so it would be in Linn's & Goldring's interests to ensure the retips were not as good as a new cartridge.

In terms of the retip's tracking abilities it seems far better than ever the original was and mine doesn't get into trouble on too many "difficult" passages though I suspect it could be bettered if you listen to a lot of classical material.

Any contact info for ES?, I have an aging but brilliant nick Troika, had one done a while ago by The Cartridge Man

Expert Stylus Company
PO Box 3
Ashtead
Surrey
KT21 2QD

Tel: 01372 276 604
Fax: 01372 276 147

I think they only do phone and copperplate.

A complete overhaul and re-tip was £165+vat in 2002

I also sent a Troika to Expert and although it looked great upon return I just couldn't get on with it. I replaced it with a DV20L which was so much better in every respect. Saying that, the guy who bought my Troika absolutely loved it!!

One last thing though, they take absolutely ages. My Troika took months and mean literally months!!!

Peter

It only cost me about £230 for a re tip a year or so back

If its trebled then don't bother buy a DV or ZYX or Benz or some such, and then buy a benchmark ADC to digitise your LP collection so you never get stiffed for current MC prices again!

I spoke to them about 10 days ago and was advised that, whilst their charges were going up at the beginning of May, a likely cost was around £265.00. Hardly trebled, by any means.

Covkxw

You really ought to check facts before commenting!
The cost of my retip last year was, as Starbuck posted, around £265 and turn round was just over a week which is at odds with Peter (Mr Mustermann)?

M

Thank you guys and sorry for delayed response

My Troika is 15-20 years old and been dead for at least 10 years (one channel dead, cantilever bent).

I am tempted by the idea to get it renovated and would be surprised if anything but the body can be reused.

So how does this work, ES have access to identical copies of the Troika stylus, cantilever, coils etc or will they build a completely different cartridge in the Troika body?

Any ideas on what they charge for a complete renovation (as opposed to just retipping)

Regards
Carl

PS. Hi JC, I am good thanks, how are you, still using those wimpy amps? ;)

Hi Carl,
Not sure what you are refering to when you talk about "wimpy amps" ;-)
after several changes, I am now running a 52/supercap2/250, not exactly what I'd call wimpy.. May be a klimax owner would do?

regarding your questions, you should give a call to Experts, they would exactly describe what they do.

BR

JC

Find out first hand. 'Phone them, they're both helpful and friendly.

My Troika has had three new stylii and a new cantilever from them and sounds better than ever.

Do it !!

Ah OK thanks JC - perhaps my memory fails me - I thought you were using some obscure little amp last time we emailed.

Yea I'll call them just curious to know if someone here knows what parts ES use for their Troika rebuilds.

Cheers
Carl
Hi Carl,
Not sure what you are refering to when you talk about "wimpy amps" ;-)
after several changes, I am now running a 52/supercap2/250, not exactly what I'd call wimpy.. May be a klimax owner would do?

regarding your questions, you should give a call to Experts, they would exactly describe what they do.

BR

JC

advertisement

Back