advertisement

LP12 Basik power supply

JMP

Hello,
I'm looking for the diagram of the Linn Basik power supply.

Somebody here shall have this?

Thank you very much
Jean-Marc

Three caps and a resistor I believe - check my thread in Classic on renovating a 30 year old LP12 for piccies.

Richard

Richard,

Saw the pics, thanks. Seems very simple!

Is it possible to have the values of the components and a diagram (back engineered from the PCB)?

Thank you
JM

It *is* very simple. The Armageddon is equally simple, once the transformer is taken into account. You only need a capacitor to supply the field coils with mains 90 deg out of phase and the motor will run. The resistor just limits the current, and you're in. Oh, the joys of synchronous motors.:)

The resistor doesn't actually limit the current - the high inductance and resistance of the motor does that (c. 4.7- 5H and around 10Kohm total impedance at 50Hz). These motor values dominate in calculating suitable R, C values.

So the resistor just drops the voltage appearing across the motor. Bigger resistor = lower voltage = less vibration, limited only by needing enough volts to make the turntable actually start-up.

For values, try R=4700ohms to 6800ohms, C=0.2uF. You'll see C=0.22 in many circuits, but two 0.1uF caps in parallel gives a more accurate 90degree phaseshift for the Linn motor on 50Hz mains.

As Steve says, the Armageddon only adds an isolation transformer to the basik(sic) idea.

Don't overlook RichardH's excellent article in the Reference room:
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22291

There's something in the reference section on DIY Geddon, and a load of useful stuff on Neil, erm, whatsizname's site.

advertisement

Back