advertisement

Jactars

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
Hey Tony - just bought a copy of Jactars Pull The Plug. Looks unplayed! Is this when you were in 'em? Will give it a spin tonight. Cost me 3 quid by the way.

Cheers

Rich

It actually makes a damn good racket - in a Josef K/Wedding Present-ish sort of way. So TL - are you on this one? If so man - you coulda been a contender!

Cheers

Rich - president of Jactars fan club.

I be on that one! I'm on all the records; there's a track on a compilation LP called Ways To Wear Coats (along with HMHB and loads of other bands from the studios I used to work at), next was a 3 track 12" called Wadlow, then finally Pull The Plug. The latter is very, very rare, there were only 500 copies pressed and most are in Japan by now by my reckoning. I've not seen a copy in a record shop for well over a decade! I’ve got two myself plus the white label test pressing, I don’t know of anyone else with more than a single copy.

Tony.

You got a copy of this book?
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?ean=9780198161783&z=y

Wouldn't mind a read as I new a lot of peeps from early 80's Liverpool scene.

Yes, I've got one, much of it makes me cringe to be honest. It only concentrates on us and Crikey It's The Cromptons (their first LP really is superb) and misses huge amounts of humour, irony and general piss taking, plus tries to make several socio-political / feminist points that just were not true IMO. If you want a good resource on Liverpool music try and track down Klaus Schwartze's The Scouse Phenomenon parts 1 & 2. These are astonishingly well researched books with family trees, press cuttings and discographies for just about everyone from the mid 70s through to 1988 when part 2 was published. They will prove very hard to find but will tell you everything and more about that scene.

Marc Riley is a fan.

That's a Peel Session, I'm not on it, still good though! I'd left to form the bleepy and spectacularly unsuccessful pink fish quartet by then (pink fish media was the name of our promotion / bullshitting company, I just kept using it).

Tony.

I've been to that Disc Discovery in Hull - a real old fashioned dusty trove.

I scrambled about on the floor, and found a load of Industrial Strength, Structure and Monotone 12" some real gems. Piled them all up, went to the counter, found out he wanted £15 for each one! Managed to haggle him down to a few £hundred in the end.

He nearly showed me his complete Kiss dolls collection, so I made my excuses and left. He had a lot of precious things in his shop

I need a few hours there next time.

DS

ps I didn't know Tony was Big in Japan?

Darren at DD does start his haggling high that is true! He had just taken in 12 B&Q style plastic boxes of 90's dance vinyl that cost him 2 cheap DVDs. Worth a crawl next time you're around.

What is it with Japanese kids and UK indie records? I was in a band in 1983 towards the end of their existence after they released their one and only single - it has been selling for £80 on eBay - to Japan! (There is talk of a Japanese tour I kid you not!) This record was only ever sold in 2 record shops in Hull so how the hell do they know about it?. Maybe you could just make a bunch of singles, pretend they are unknown post-punk bands and clean up!

cheers

Rich

ps I didn't know Tony was Big in Japan?

It's the whole Liverpool indie scene of that period - everything obscure that's either a very limited or a private pressing seems to be popular / desirable / collectable out there. One of my friends (Andy, Pink Moon Records) has exported tons of stuff, to the point there is next to nothing left in Liverpool, or even the UK! None of these bands toured there.

Some of the prices are astonishing these days, i.e. things I remember landing new from bargain bins for a quid are changing hands for 15-50 quid. Just try finding something like Barbel's (truly excellent) One Horse Planet, there is not a chance. I've not seen one other than my own for years. Likewise with some of the scarcer / better Probe Plus releases (e.g. St Vitus Dance or Revolutionary Army Of The Infant Jesus). This scene is incidentally one reason I could never switch to digital, I have tons of the stuff. Hundreds and hundreds of obscure unheard of albums and singles, a lot of which are really good. I used to work pretty much at ground zero; Waterloo Road / Vulcan Studios.

An indicator as to how rare this stuff is getting these days is how little I can find to list in my shop here - I'd always buy anything I see at a decent price as I really know the subject so could write it up well.

Tony.

advertisement

Back