advertisement

Wharfedale Diamonds in (yes, in) bizarre Cornflake Shop stands

Tony L

Administrator
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Tempted as I am close. But will be moving to a home with less space for kit.... :-(

Looks like spikes in the frame above the speaker. Are they meant to be used the other way up (hanging from the ceiling)?

Looks like spikes in the frame above the speaker. Are they meant to be used the other way up (hanging from the ceiling)?

They were a poor-man’s take on the original Roxsan Darius (assuming they didn’t come first, which I don’t think they did). Remember this was peak 1980s spikes on everything-era. Mana tables up to the ceiling etc.

PS A friend, in fact the person who bought my Xerxes and 62/140, has a black pair of original Darius in the frame-stands. They are rather good in some ways, though overly bright and bass-light to my taste. Certainly very clear and agile. I reckon there is a very good speaker in there that could be found with a new crossover or active drive and a bit of careful EQ.

According to the description, the spikes are for holding the speaker in place (!) so you obviously aren't going to put any "nice" speaker in there!

Secondly, if you really liked the idea you could get these fabricated fairly easily... though god knows why anyone would want to really. Personally I think they're hideous and probably best for a nostalgic collector ('s attic).

@Tony L Does your friend have the revised crossovers for the Darius - one black box per speaker?

I have the older single cream box, and would like to upgrade my crossovers so I'm looking for some information about the newer crossovers.

The stands were custom made for Diamonds, the speakers were clamped in by spikes and they are depicted the correct way up! I got mine in 1986, so I imagine they were hot on the heels of the Darius.

@Tony L Does your friend have the revised crossovers for the Darius - one black box per speaker?

I have the older single cream box, and would like to upgrade my crossovers so I'm looking for some information about the newer crossovers.

Pretty certain it/they are cream. I’ll ask next time I see him, which may be a fair way away as I too seldom go to Liverpool these days.

advertisement

Back