advertisement

When I went on naim forum 😂

The most over the top comment I read once over there was from some very high ranking member with great esteem and knowledge and he said that he moved his 552 preamp 2 m.m on the rack and he could hear a difference
Then there is the cable dressing and cable massaging it really gets quite anal
It's good kit and not bashing it although I left Naim years ago but their is definitely an OCD clique there where they have to ring every last % of performance out of their multi box rigs.
I really think alot of them just listen to their equipment and not the music as they don't really discuss albums it's all high fi detail like basslines ...detail from a box change.each to their own if there happy ....

The most over the top comment I read once over there was from some very high ranking member with great esteem and knowledge and he said that he moved his 552 preamp 2 m.m on the rack and he could hear a difference
It's good kit and not bashing it although I left Naim years ago but their is definitely an OCD clique there where they have to ring every last % of performance out of their multi box rigs.
I really think alot of them just listen to their equipment and not the music as they don't really discuss albums it's all high fi detail like basslines ...detail from a box change.each to their own if there happy ....
That guy is always trying to make out he is a supper hero naim guru.
The things he can hear the difference doing is remarkable, especially being a old gentleman, that probably can't hear much above 10 kHz these days.
I feel he just likes to say he can to try and sound clever and important. But he makes me laugh with it all, silly old bugger

Or maybe he is steve Austin? As he has disappeared. Lol.

The imaginary differences are the best.
I'm sure, however Naim kit historically has been a bugger for picking up on mains interference around the back of the boxes. The Lingo cable left alongside an interconnect was an audible deterioration. But it's all because it's sensitive to source component quality, right?

Those criticisms are equally valid to a number of threads on here, especially around cables & streaming.

The irony is that the naim forum used to be really good when the founder was still with us.

I have to say, that site can be a breath of fresh air though. People can actually use words like 'cable', 'switch', etc, without being too concerned about being rear ended with abuse, unlike other sites. That shiite gets very boring, for anyone wanting an actual conversation, regardless of the validity of the topic.

Hound might be an exception to this, who has survived an amazingly long time, despite all the Naim bashing and dcs plugging (not judging either way as have never heard dcs or top Naim).

Those criticisms are equally valid to a number of threads on here, especially around cables & streaming.

The irony is that the naim forum used to be really good when the founder was still with us.
Yep, like the person on here who reckons they can hear the difference caused by the brand of oil in their LP12 bearing :rolleyes:

That guy is always trying to make out he is a supper hero naim guru.
The things he can hear the difference doing is remarkable, especially being a old gentleman, that probably can't hear much above 10 kHz these days.
This isn't the guy who failed to notice that his Isobarks were out of phase for months is it?

Yep, like the person on here who reckons they can hear the difference caused by the brand of oil in their LP12 bearing :rolleyes:
Or the huge differences between streamers & software. I’ve not had that many ‘night & day’ differences unless I’ve done big upgrades, e.g. Rega 2 to LP12 or going active with ATCs. This is the reality of hifi, make a big change or don’t bother.

Or the huge differences between streamers & software. I’ve not had that many ‘night & day’ differences unless I’ve done big upgrades, e.g. Rega 2 to LP12 or going active with ATCs. This is the reality of hifi, make a big change or don’t bother.
Absolutely agree... one of the many reasons why my stopgap Gyrodec is staying as it is as unless I change the arm to something like an SME V or Supatrac and add a much better cartridge I can't see any other upgrade producing enough of an improvement to make it worth the faff or in many cases any improvement at all (to my ears)... even then I may just not bother as the sound it produces now is astonishing for the outlay.

Absolutely agree... one of the many reasons why my stopgap Gyrodec is staying as it is as unless I change the arm to something like an SME V or Supatrac and add a much better cartridge I can't see any other upgrade producing enough of an improvement to make it worth the faff or in many cases any improvement at all (to my ears)... even then I may just not bother as the sound it produces now is astonishing for the outlay.
It’s why my LP12 has been largely untouched for 20 years. Although apparently that’s not possible due to those nasty people at Linn & the cult of constant upgrades.

I was foolish enough to ask if the considerable price difference in a classic to new classic was worth the outlay 😂😂😂
I was staggered to see the prices of the new kit. I haven't looked in that direction for well over 10 years, more like 15. Their base integrated is something like 2K€, I believe.

advertisement

Back