advertisement

Come to Norfolk they said - driest county in England they said!

R4 2 days ago, talking to an East Anglian farmer who presumably rents land.

200 acres have been under 2 feet of water since October, the farm buildings at the centre of that land are an island, accessed only by boat. They had sown winter wheat and rape before October - a loss of around £35,000 in lost seed.
The same farmer has X other acres, all of it too wet to get any machinery on so far, but he has not much more than another week before it will be too late for spring planting.
He estimated that the lost income will be around £130,000 this year.

Talking to another farming respresentative, the ever-increasing pressure is to flood farmland to hold back water from flooding residential properties........................

And STILL they build houses on flood-plains.

I don't knowif it is still so, but when I was local, the Shotley peninsular was trhe driest place in the UK. E Anglia is not a desert purely because it receives a very little rain. reliably, all year (in previously normal weather patterns).

I’ve been visiting my parents for Easter, they’re about 20 minutes from Plymouth, they had Countryfile file on earlier where the weekly forecast said to expect a further rainfall of 50mm plus across the next week and that’s on top of 269% above average rainfall for March alone - the past 6 months across the whole of the UK has been truly awful

True Ian, but I’d take dry over warm to be honest.
Not if you're a gardener (in Norfolk !) ;)
At least the extra rain will wash the previous storm's turds away, won't it?
But the weather is getting more turdulent by the season; diarrhoea straits are nigh !

Luckily we live on a second steepest hill in Norwich and the rain filters deep underground and seeps down towards us, meaning there's usually moisture even in a dry period, and of course, there's never any standing water. Even standing upright on my two-way slopes is tricky !

40 million tonnes of raw sewage a year goes into the Thames! o_O

Speaking of which, they completed the new mega sewer a few days ago so, in theory, that should be vastly reduced soon-ish. Assuming it works. Probably best to wait and see before congratulating them.

Haven’t been to that neck of the woods since the late 80s. Took a canal barge with a group of (sixth form) classmates from Norwich to Great Yarmouth. It was great!

R4 2 days ago, talking to an East Anglian farmer who presumably rents land.

200 acres have been under 2 feet of water since October, the farm buildings at the centre of that land are an island, accessed only by boat. They had sown winter wheat and rape before October - a loss of around £35,000 in lost seed.
The same farmer has X other acres, all of it too wet to get any machinery on so far, but he has not much more than another week before it will be too late for spring planting.
He estimated that the lost income will be around £130,000 this year.

Talking to another farming respresentative, the ever-increasing pressure is to flood farmland to hold back water from flooding residential properties........................

And STILL they build houses on flood-plains.

I don't knowif it is still so, but when I was local, the Shotley peninsular was trhe driest place in the UK. E Anglia is not a desert purely because it receives a very little rain. reliably, all year (in previously normal weather patterns).

Sounds about right, we're getting towards the end of the spring barley window, luckily have a long stop in maize for silage which can wait a few weeks.
We can see the Shotley peninsula, just below the river in Essex.

Moved to Norfolk in 2018, one of the reasons was the weather was supposed to be so much better than the north of England where I have lived most of my adult life... well until 12 months ago I would have agreed... but in the last 12 months it seems to never stop either raining or threatening to. We're into April now and the forecast for the next 2 weeks is rain every day... I am trying to finish a renovation job, but I've no chance at the moment.

I'd rather be back in the north of England with good humoured northerners and the lovely hills rather than the flat boring (very wet) lands of Norfolk... please tell me it's been just as shite in Yorkshire and Lancashire? :D
Its called global warming.

Currently p*ssing down in Fife. As it was most of the way up this morning. Actually I did stop at Beattock services for a leak and I don't think that it was actually raining at that time.

I think it's probably the same everywhere. I've just been watching the French news with flooding in the départements around Dijon. Every month it's the same story, but somewhere else.
Here in Herefordshire, it's wet wet wet. Nice morning, but heavy showers this afternoon, and the ground is so saturated that the water just runs off. I cut the grass just before the afternoon deluge, and the ground is just squelchy. There's standing water in fields that's been there for weeks/months in places where in the 38 years we've lived here I've never seen before.

Its called global warming.
I can understand the proliferation of wet weather on the basis that climate warming causes more evaporation from oceans, which have to come down somewhere and more frequently. With most of our weather emanating from the west, the U.K. in more in line for it; even here in Norfolk which is one of the driest areas.

Just not sure, when we get a heat wave, why that process packs up when it should accelerate unless heat waves only occur when prevailing weather is from the east, e.g.

I can understand the proliferation of wet weather on the basis that climate warming causes more evaporation from oceans, which have to come down somewhere and more frequently. With most of our weather emanating from the west, the U.K. in more in line for it; even here in Norfolk which is one of the driest areas.

Just not sure, when we get a heat wave, why that process packs up when it should accelerate unless heat waves only occur when prevailing weather is from the east.

You need contrasting cold air to provoke the precipitation.

The weather has been lousy lately, though Sat & Sun were beautiful, clear blue skies and zero rain, pissed down this morning though, fingers crossed it'll pick up sooner rather than later.

advertisement

Back