advertisement

What are you listening to right now #64

A bit of thunderous but very melodic synth led techno - probably not conducive to a relaxing wind down before bed but I have tizanidin for that, this popped up in one of my tidal mixes, bloody excellent two tracks that fit well together on the album, yet more tracks that bring to mind worlds being created before my eyes.

CD Rip

Mi03NTE3LmpwZWc.jpeg

The year before Bowie died I tried to flesh out my post Let’s Dance collection and bought several albums on discogs that I didn’t really listen to that much.

Giving 1.Outside and proper listen (at least 2-3 full listens)

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Mind you it’s a long album, I do really think 40 odd minutes is the best album length.

It’s not immediately clear to me if it was intended to be 4 sided vinyl.

.sjb

Three new ones out last Friday with quite contrasting styles.

First up is Sylvaine - Eg Er Framand (I am a Foreigner in Norwegian). A Norwegian multi instrumentalist, this EP is dark folk, very haunting, ethereal female vocals and minimal backing. if you like Celtic / Scandinavian / Icelandic minimalist folk and a stunning female voice then this is for you.

Second is Fractures in the Sky - Monolith of Avarice. Another multi instrumentalist, this time a bloke from the north of England. basically this has a Djent/Prog Metal base but occasionally strays into Post rock and metal but has an underlying middle eastern vibe (to my ears). Nothing earth shatter but pretty good for the genre excluding the odd drum "solo" track in the middle. Similar in style to Mick Gordon (Doom soundtrack).

And finally Hamferð – Men Guðs hond er sterk (But God’s hand is strong). These guys hail from the Faroe Islands and play Doom/Death metal. This is a concept album based on a Whaling accident in 1915 that killed 14 people (need to fully translate the lyrics thought). (I could compare this to Kauan Sorni Nai but will resist). The vocalist has a very distinct clean singing voice and also a very good set of harsh vocals. The sound is thick, heavy and generally rooted in doom but there are times where it lightens up and other where it get just down right dirty. Another cracking album from a great band.

From the "Early Years" box. This one doesn't get as much of a spin as the other discs. Quite good.
continuation.jpg

Bonus Continu/ation
BBC Radio Session, 25 September 1967:
CD10-1Flaming2:42
CD10-2The Scarecrow1:59
CD10-3The Gnome2:08
CD10-4Matilda Mother3:20
CD10-5Reaction In G0:34
CD10-6Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun3:19
BBC Radio Session, 20 December 1967:
CD10-7Scream Thy Last Scream3:35
CD10-8Vegetable Man3:07
CD10-9Pow R. Toc H.2:45
CD10-10Jugband Blues3:50
BBC Radio Session, 2 December 1968:
CD10-11Baby Blue Shuffle In D Major3:58
CD10-12Blues4:59
Other Recordings
CD10-13US Radio Ad0:22
CD10-14Music From The Committee No. 11:06
CD10-15Music From The Committee No. 23:25
Live On 1969 BBC TV Moon Landings Broadcast
CD10-16Moonhead7:16
Live At Wembley 1974
CD10-17Echoes24:10

A bit of thunderous but very melodic synth led techno - probably not conducive to a relaxing wind down before bed but I have tizanidin for that, this popped up in one of my tidal mixes, bloody excellent two tracks that fit well together on the album, yet more tracks that bring to mind worlds being created before my eyes.

Nice. If you have anything like that to recommend that's a bit less 'thumpy', I'd be interested.

advertisement

Back