advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

We have a trade deal with...Texas!

Well, since Texas is descending down a path that looks like turning it into Gilead, then it makes sense that Brexiters would see Texas as a place close to their hearts, and therefore a logical part of the US to do a deal with.

Well, since Texas is descending down a path that looks like turning it into Gilead, then it makes sense that Brexiters would see Texas as a place close to their hearts, and therefore a logical part of the US to do a deal with.

Kemi looked very comfortable sitting next to Greg. Praise Be.

What does EV think about this: Wine Tax Changes? Sounds like an administrative nightmare.
I know that there are already noises in the industry here about harvesting at lower sugar levels so as to finish up with wines at less than 11.5% alcohol to get into a lower tax bracket in the UK market.

What does EV think about this: Wine Tax Changes? Sounds like an administrative nightmare.
I know that there are already noises in the industry here about harvesting at lower sugar levels so as to finish up with wines at less than 11.5% alcohol to get into a lower tax bracket in the UK market.

I’m imagining a rather large word salad explaining how it’s all not necessary, they’re just punishing us, why do they hate us etc…..cont p94.

b8e276519529f55bc009624c62bac16ee56db960.jpeg

EV has been fully aware of this ever since (the teetotal) Sunak announced it as Chancellor, and I'm sure you can imagine what I think about it. However, it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with brexit, however the Guardian chooses to frame it.

I’m imagining a rather large word salad explaining how it’s all not necessary, they’re just punishing us, why do they hate us etc…..cont p94.

See above.

EV has been fully aware of this ever since (the teetotal) Sunak announced it as Chancellor, and I'm sure you can imagine what I think about it. However, it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with brexit, however the Guardian chooses to frame it.

See above.
Really? EU countries calculate duty like this, do they?

(Hoping to provoke a word salad of heroically trussian proportions)

See above.
Yes, I saw that, but it seems to me it's a post brexit "bonus", and we wouldn't be subject to it were we still EU members. If you'd like to explain how we would still be doing this, were we to never have left the EU, I'm all ears. In the meantime, I hesitate to overuse the T word with regard to your posts, but you see where this is going?

Yes, I saw that, but it seems to me it's a post brexit "bonus", and we wouldn't be subject to it were we still EU members. If you'd like to explain how we would still be doing this, were we to never have left the EU, I'm all ears. In the meantime, I hesitate to overuse the T word with regard to your posts, but you see where this is going?

FFS, the EU didn't, and doesn't, have anything to do with the setting of excise duty, in the UK or anywhere else. It is entirely a member (or indeed non-member) government competence. And should you take the time to look, you will see that excise duty rates on alcohol vary quite considerably across the bloc.

"First, economic analyst Steven Rattner reported today that according to The Economist, since the end of 2019 the American economy has grown about 8%, while the European Union has grown about 3%, Japan 1%, and Britain not at all. Rattner and economist Brendan Duke reported that entrepreneurship in the U.S. is booming, with 5.2 million “likely employer” business applications filed between January 2021 and December 2023, more than a 33% increase over those filed between 2017 and 2019. Economists Justin Wolfers and Arin Dube noted that, as Wolfers wrote, '[f]or the first time in forever, real wage gains are going to those who need them most.' Wages have gone up for all but the top 20% of Americans, whose wages have fallen, reducing inequality. " (HCR).

Maybe our trade deal with Texas will improve growth and deliver the high-skilled, high-wage economy promised by Brexiteers. With that in mind, more on our sovereign regulatory system:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ic-chemical-dump-brexit-europe?ref=biztoc.com

A reality check from Bloomberg:

Leaving the European Union was unlike any event in modern British history. Institutional investors couldn't imagine a majority of Britons voting against their own interest. When they did, the shock was immediate. The pound plummeted a record 8.05% in minutes to a 31-year-low against the dollar. The toll of the June 23, 2016, referendum was more than double any of the eight worst days since 1981, and the almost 13% depreciation in less than a week remains unequaled as a UK foreign-exchange debacle.

Sterling's sudden collapse and failure to recover proved to be the signal that Britain's best days are fleeting. For most of this century, the UK was the biggest beneficiary among the 27 countries in the EU. Measured by gross domestic product, GDP per capita growth, unemployment and superior debt, equity and currency valuations, Britain was the perennial leader. All of these superlatives ended with “Brexit” almost eight years ago. The EU since then outperforms the UK, whose listless economy is now little more than an also-ran.

A refreshing contrast to the vacuous gaslighting we are fed by the Tory media here.

Ready for more food price increases? You’ll get them from 30 April when Brexit Island finally, after years of regretful procrastination, enforces full order checks on produce coming in from Europe. It wont just be further price hikes, the red tape will cut choice as exporters don’t bother selling into the U.K. market and will reduce shelf life while your fruit sits at the border waiting for the pen pushers.

FFS, the EU didn't, and doesn't, have anything to do with the setting of excise duty, in the UK or anywhere else. It is entirely a member (or indeed non-member) government competence. And should you take the time to look, you will see that excise duty rates on alcohol vary quite considerably across the bloc.
[pedantic]
Not quite: the EU does set a framework for excise duty on alcoholic beverages, with minimum levels.
EU excise duty
It is
1.87 € per degree of alcohol per 100 litres on beer
0 on wine,
etc.
with reductions available for some Greek, Portuguese and Italian booze.

Member states are free to go above and beyond those, and frequently do - extreme cases in the Nordic countries.

[pedantic]
Not quite: the EU does set a framework for excise duty on alcoholic beverages, with minimum levels.
EU excise duty
It is
1.87 € per degree of alcohol per 100 litres on beer
0 on wine,
etc.
with reductions available for some Greek, Portuguese and Italian booze.

Member states are free to go above and beyond those, and frequently do - extreme cases in the Nordic countries.

Well, yes.

The UK isn't great, but as you say, the Nordics...

Customs Duty is, of course, an EU issue (in the EU). That's where people get in a muddle I think.

Looking at the state of the UK's finances, I can't help wondering when Westminster will decide to dump the ungrateful money sink called Northern Ireland. It must surely come. It has been well established that, if Brexit meant getting rid of NI, most Brexiteers would be perfectly happy. Scotland at least has oil and a base for the nuclear submarines, NI has, well, noisy, cantankerous troglodytes from another age. None of the UK major parliamentary parties are represented there and exporting there is a problem, which is why a lot of UK traders don't bother (when my brother wanted to buy a part for his Morgan from Somerset, the guy said he wouldn't send it outside the UK!).

Of course, the mainland might then be flooded with a different kind of refugee - all those earnest Prods who couldn't face living in a united Ireland. Mind you, I hear the weather in Rwanda is nicer than that in Belfast...

Last edited:

advertisement

Back