advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Yep. Granchan Moncur - Evolution is another title that is still being discounted and is an absolutely brilliant record.

It feels like anything that isn't hard bop is a harder sell.

Yeah but even now

Ready For Freddie
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09CRQL7LQ?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Destination Out

Cool Struttin'

Are all sub £15!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a whole stack more on the way as Amazon seem intent in selling many of these for between £13-14. I like most jazz so I’ll just go at them all.

I’ve yet to find one that wasn’t in immaculate condition and sounding fantastic

Pressing issues this month. The Lee Morgan has a sharp edge hump creating a subsonic thump at 33 1/3 and the Henderson is a lot noisier than usual. I've been on a good run for a while with these but the factory has got complacent again.

Pressing issues this month. The Lee Morgan has a sharp edge hump creating a subsonic thump at 33 1/3 and the Henderson is a lot noisier than usual. I've been on a good run for a while with these but the factory has got complacent again.
Only bought the Henderson this month and mine is free of any surface noise…gave it the usual wet clean first.

Seems to have been a problem with the New Land more than the Henderson. It's not bad but worse than the usual high standard.

I haven't been buying many records of late (new or used) but did recently grab Dexter Gordon's "Go" and Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers' "Mosaic" the other day. Pleased to say that they both play nicely with no issues with stitching, surface noise etc. Good albums too.

So what is the general feeling regarding SQ of these? I have 'Somethin' Else' on BN75 and really enjoy the music so thought I would treat myself to the BNC. My impression on first hearing it was that the bass was better but the highs were a bit tizzy for my tastes. Now I find that I lose interest when listening to the BNC. Just my opinion of course but just wondering how others have found the BNC's especially if they have other versions to compare to.

I've found them all to be utterly superb and with only one pressing problem in the 30 or so that I've bought. They're not quite Tone Poet quality, but they're not very far off, and in most cases are much cheaper.

I'd need a lot of convincing that RTI is better than Optimal, frankly.
I think the issue is one of quality control... while the Tone Poets are almost guaranteed to be perfect, the classics are capable of it under the right conditions.

All of mine have been spotless, silent, clean, and flaw free. I had one where the vinyl was bowled, but two subsequent copies had the same issue so I just kept the best of the bunch and clamped it down. if you watch some of the making of vids, the tone poets go under more checks pre/post pressing than the classics.

So with the classics the risk of flaw is higher, albeit potentially still very low.

The Tone Poet packaging is also (imho) more of a pain than it is worth, they're pretty, sure, but they don't fit any normal sized sleeves not single or gatefold versions. Even my biggest gatefold, they poke out the end.

I think the issue is one of quality control... while the Tone Poets are almost guaranteed to be perfect, the classics are capable of it under the right conditions.
I've had a number of duff records from RTI in the past 12 months. Pressing defects, dishing, warps. Chet Baker Sings for one and now I'm stuck with it because it was in such short supply. So disappointing after the long wait for it to be repressed. Sure Optimal has QC issues too.

For all the hoopla about Tone Poets due to being pressed in RTI, I've had plenty of issues with them. Admittedly I've had more grief with Classic releases but then I've bought far more of those (20 vs 7). And I'll say this much: my great copies of Classics are better than any of my TP by which I mean that a number of them play flawlessly without a single tick or pop (audible to me) whereas I don't think I can say that of any of my Tone Poets (with the exception of Herbie's The Prisoner).

My copy of The All Seeing Eye is my third and frankly, had it have been my first I'd have taken it back. I had two copies of Blue Trane: the first of which had a rubbish first disc with loads of surface noise (not removed by a vac-clean) and stitching, the second copy had a big piece of embedded white detritus on side B of the first record that I didn't even want to risk playing. And this was a £50 'premium' release.

In my humble experience, RTI's pressing and QC leaves a lot to be desired. Frankly, I don't know if there are any plants that seem to be able to deliver consistently high quality pressings.

In my humble experience, RTI's pressing and QC leaves a lot to be desired. Frankly, I don't know if there are any plants that seem to be able to deliver consistently high quality pressings.
I think they need to be hand weeding them but that step's left to the customer and missed out if they're shipped directly to distributors.

advertisement

Back