advertisement

Albums you wish you had bought at the time

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
made a few mistakes early on (motown collections etc) and throughout the rest of my record purchasing periods.

some most notable misses not bought then or since

Stooges - Stooges
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Talking Heads - '77
Massive Attack - Blue Lines

there are loads more, would not bother to source the vinyl now as prices excessive and condition not as specced

Last edited:
Blue Lines is worth buying, I blow hot & cold on Talking Heads. Have listened to Portishead a lot recently.

Yes, I have an original copy of Blue Lines.

The closest I have to regret is I bought most of the IDM/ambient house stuff of the ‘90s on CD rather than vinyl. I suspect that cost me around £8k or so in collection value! As an example my copy of Blue Lines os a CD, but it is the first issue just branded ‘Massive’ as the phrase ‘Massive Attack’ was apparently banned due to the Gulf War. I’m not bothered about swapping this stuff out as much of the reason I switched to CD was ‘90s pressings were so piss-poor and noisy. I went through about three copies of the first Orb album trying to find a quiet one so bought the CD. I’ve got the limited triple of the second but at least one side is hopelessly eccentric. Much 90s vinyl was as bad as it ever got despite the crazy high value now.

Most other stuff I’d missed at the time I’ve back catalogued over the decades, e.g. I’ve got orange RCA label originals of The Idiot, Lust For Life, TV Eye, though chances are I’ll never find nice 1st pressings of the first and Fun House.

I’ve sold and rebought stuff and always view my collection as fluid. A lot comes in, a lot goes out. I’m struggling to think of stuff I regret not buying, as most of it has turned up since. I‘d like more Throbbing Gristle originals (I’ve only got 20 Jazz Funk Greats, the rest are reissues), and there’s an obvious gap where The Pop Group’s ‘Y’ should be. I’d prefer my Prince collection to be on vinyl, but I’m not that bothered. The CDs are fine. Jazz vinyl is my favourite vinyl, and I’m just not old enough to have bought that new. I started with Miles Davis Tutu and a Blue Note sampler in the mid-80s, and given that late start point have amassed a really nice collection with a fair number of originals in it.

Only one I can think of is My Bloody Valentine Isn’t Anything: a friend taped it for me and that was good enough. By the time I’d really started to fetishise records it was unobtainium, only got it a couple of years ago with the remaster.

Jazz vinyl was pretty cheap in the 80s, nobody was bothered. My Blue Lines is quite a nice pressing but it was always hit & miss back then.

Loads of stuff...

Aphex Twin - Analord 10 12" with cheesy plastic binder.

It was £25 or something and my OH convinced me buying a handful of other 12"s was better value.

Only one currently for sale on Discogs is up for £3,000.

Good thing I gave up on being an AFX completist.

The year was 2016. I had just arrived in Osaka without a wink of sleep overnight. The first day is always a write off, so I strolled around and popped into a couple of record stores to check out but not buy anything. I spotted a nice original of Clifford Jordan's Glass Bead Games on Strata East for the princely sum of 4,500 yen ($40!). I put it back with the intention of returning within the next few days when I was in a more rested frame of mind. Somehow I never did.

I often look at the photo I took of the record on my phone in regret...and still can't bring myself to buying a reissue.

Original Metal Box.

I've shared this sorry tale before but ....

Virgin Records, Brent Cross, New Year 1980. I was a poor(ish) student and had enough money for one record.

I had in my hands Metal Box by PiL and Tusk by Fleetwood Mac. I left with Tusk.

When I returned a few weeks later to get Metal Box it had sold out and been replaced by Second Edition. Same music but a long way from the same thing.

I blame my girlfriend of the time who liked Rumours and didn't much care for the more noisy records I was into.

If I could go back in time and whisper in the ear of my younger self ......

I did buy Metal Box at the time:

53388410830_27a87bde6c_b.jpg

I’ve got First Issue and Flowers Of Romance too. I was amazed to see Mike at The In Groove several months ago with a genuinely mint Metal Box! I think mine is on the ‘very rusty’ end of the scale (many crappy damp ‘80s flats etc), but other than the one Mike showed (which was still sealed) I’ve never seen one without tarnish. I kind of like it, it is patina and honest - no scratches or dings, just tarnish. Pretty even too. The box inside and contents are all close to mint.

If we are talking vinyl:
Wedding Present George Best
Fugazi first 2 EPs
Felt Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty
Nirvana Nevermind

Tony, if you ever fancy swapping that tatty looking box for a nice mint Second Edition + the 12” of Memories, let me know 😉

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom