advertisement

Speakers for the telly

Subharmonicon

pfm Member
My father liked my atc scm7 mk2 so much he bought a mint pair for the telly, he has them thru a quad unit. TV sounds great I must say!

Cannot imagine watching telly via in built speakers. I’ve been running Quad 12L as TV speakers through an AVR for over a decade. Even my wife would complain if I reverted to TV‘s speakers.

For any TV any decent sound bar is a massive improvement. This is an easily sorted problem.

Hooking your tv up to some stereo speakers is a great improvement, but adding a centre channel and an AV amp a makes it a whole load better. In particular, dialogue is much clearer, and you don’t have to sit dead centre for voices to come from the screen. Particularly worthwhile if you are watching tv with other people.

Hooking your tv up to some stereo speakers is a great improvement, but adding a centre channel and an AV amp a makes it a whole load better. In particular, dialogue is much clearer, and you don’t have to sit dead centre for voices to come from the screen. Particularly worthwhile if you are watching tv with other people.

I run my HT receiver in 1.0 (Yes, only center channel) when watching TV. Maximizes dialogue and minimizes disturbing things like music (no, there is no music on real IRL drama, right?) or LF noise that unenhances action movies.

I use a pair of small mission/ denon scm5 bought for £5 in a charity shop, took back off telly, hooked them up instead of the (£35) flat tv's internal spkrs, put the back on again. Tv sits on a (£15) sony dvdp, which sits on these lying flat.

Blindingly good sound! Sounds like I'm in a cinema & can't think anything better needed considering the tv's amp being used (which must be decent enough in there). Total: £55! I only watch dvd's, no tv license for me thanks.

Captain Skinflint.

Spendor S3/5R driven by a Quad 303 here.

I really couldn’t cope with built-in speakers or a cheap consumer electronics soundbar or whatever. A proper broadcast monitor-grade system such as this makes following dialogue so easy even at very low volume. I’m 60 years old, but with the above I can so easily follow dialogue at a level of around 65db max at my seat (just measured it now, this is my typical level for TV).

What path from the TV to the 303? Headphone jack, or does your tv have variable level phono output?

Headphone jack via an Audio Synthesis passive pre. The latter is only there to enable other inputs, e.g. a multi-format Cambridge 752BD disc player. I have the switchable 3.5mm TV output set to headphones rather than line so I can adjust the volume with the TV remote. Annoyingly headphone/line outputs are becoming more scarce on TVs so I suspect when this one (a 50” Sony 4K) dies, as it inevitably will, I may end up having to fart around with DACs etc.

Same method as The Captain- some cheapo Aiwa music centre speakers hooked up to the internal tv amps (disconnected from the crappy internal speakers).
The Aiwas sit behind the telly and fire at the side/corner walls.
The key to decent tv sound is speakers with nice midrange that don’t exaggerate bass and treble.

The key to decent tv sound is speakers with nice midrange that don’t exaggerate bass and treble.
Quad 57s make quite good TV speakers in my experience. If they can be sited either side of the screen their imaging abilities are pretty good at centreing dialogue.

Had my TV through the main system for 20 years,
Great if your system's on standby all and s/s. For dramas etc. I use cans as I have RCA line-outs via long Chord I/C to my can amp. Don't think that amp would power speakers without another amp.
took back off telly, hooked them up instead of the (£35) flat tv's internal spkrs,
I like that but surprised there's enough amplification to drive decent external spkrs
no tv license for me thanks.
Are you American? (s/c for noun)

My daughter only watches Netflix/etc. on her TV
For any TV any decent sound bar is a massive improvement. This is an easily sorted problem.
Yes, that appeals but even that has a complexity I don't really want to get into (esp. buying one which will interface with my old TV). I've got loads of small speakers and The Captain's method appeals to by basic DIY skills. ;)
Quad 57s make quite good TV speakers in my experience
No good for 'through' rooms like mine; you'd never get past !

TiVo system into a DACMagic 100 into two Cambridge Audio stereo amplifiers out to Usher V604 floor standers (designed by D'Appolito). Feed my Lenco-based turntables into this, as well. Next year, amplifiers will be replaced with class D monoblocs with Class A preamp with Alps remote.

@Mike Reed

I was very surprised too- but yes there's plenty of tv amp oomph, as I often have to turn it down as it's so loud & just have to make sure I don't go above 8 out of 10 on the tv volume.. or I worry I'll blow the speakers!

I'd be astounded if any soundbar sounded this good, as they wouldn't have anything like this quality mission speakers. (Panasonic TX-L32S10B telly).

Licence then. Terribly sorry!

@Mike Reed

I was very surprised too- but yes there's plenty of tv amp oomph, as I often have to turn it down as it's so loud & just have to make sure I don't go above 8 out of 10 on the tv volume.. or I worry I'll blow the speakers!

I'd be astounded if any soundbar sounded this good, as they wouldn't have anything like this quality mission speakers. (Panasonic TX-L32S10B telly).

Licence then. Terribly sorry!
You could call a Naim Muso a soundbar, it's just a box plonked by the TV but it's a reasonably ok sound.

May look a bit heath Robinson to some maybe, but really sounds fabulous & all I'll ever need.

AD684-DCB-B99-B-446-A-8-EEB-B59-DBFE1-CA57.jpg

You've got me going there, Captain ! 12 y.o. Sony ready for DIY bodging but unfortunately I.B. (sealed box) spkrs; inefficient) but good stands. However, I have to go up to almost max on BBC (via Virgin) just to properly activate the internal spkrs so I guess it's a case of whether my external spkrs are more efficient than the internal ones.

I think that whoever designed spkrs in TVs to fire backwards/upwards must've been on sth. My previous Sony CRT was fine.

Headphone jack via an Audio Synthesis passive pre. The latter is only there to enable other inputs, e.g. a multi-format Cambridge 752BD disc player. I have the switchable 3.5mm TV output set to headphones rather than line so I can adjust the volume with the TV remote. Annoyingly headphone/line outputs are becoming more scarce on TVs so I suspect when this one (a 50” Sony 4K) dies, as it inevitably will, I may end up having to fart around with DACs etc.
Those cheapo dacs on Amazon are probably better than anything in TVs in any case.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom