advertisement

ITV X

I bought a brand-new Firestick 4K in the Black Friday sale because my Samsung TV will not run ITV Hub as of about a month ago. Firestick runs OK - but it is still called ITV Hub -I assume the latest version was downloaded to run on it.

I bought a brand-new Firestick 4K in the Black Friday sale because my Samsung TV will not run ITV Hub as of about a month ago. Firestick runs OK - but it is still called ITV Hub -I assume the latest version was downloaded to run on it.
There is supposed to be a full roll out of ITV X coming this week to replace the Hub with much more material available.

I watched the England game last night via the ITV X website (i.e. just on my ethernet cabled PC rather than Firestick). It was rubbish - constantly flicking between good quality images to fuzzy very low quality images, with several dropouts/pauses during the game. I have reliable 70Mbps broadband...teething troubles I guess?

My Firestick appears to be on ITVX, although the Home Screen still shows the logo for ITV Hub.

Watched the footy in the last couple of days (was it the England game?). No problems with the picture, but there were a couple of drop-outs.

More content? Not so far, just a few films and the usual TV rubbish.

Last edited:
I've got ITV hub on my iPad, for casting to chrome cast on my ageing Sony. It's updated to X.

My Firestick appears to be on ITVX, although the Home Screen still shows the logo for ITV Hub.

Watched the footy in the last couple of days (was it the England game?). No problems with the picture, but there were a couple of drop-outs.

More content? Not so far, just a few films and the usual TV rubbish.
If you had full fat ITV X you’d have access to box sets.

my Samsung TV will not run ITV Hub
Clever design feature from Samsung ITV for the hard of thinking

I asked my cousin about this (he used to be responsible for ITV's digital strategy) and the reason why ITV hub didn't appear on lots of Smart TVs was something to do with some terrible licensing deals his predecessor had signed. This was during a football championships (the last Euros I think) and was the reason why I could watch England on my Big TV but only if it was on BBC and not on ITV.

If you had full fat ITV X you’d have access to box sets.

Now seems to be full-fat - it's certainly got links to box sets via "ITVX Premium", which is six quid per month (sixty for a year). Seven day free trial on offer.

Not a bad price though - with no adverts. 26 series of Doctor Who, anyone?

Now seems to be full-fat - it's certainly got links to box sets via "ITVX Premium", which is six quid per month (sixty for a year). Seven day free trial on offer.

Not a bad price though - with no adverts. 26 series of Doctor Who, anyone?

But... Dr Who is BBC production... how can that be on ITV Hub?

Its certainly not 'full fat', they have made zero investment in 4K, and have only just managed to catch up to 1080p HD streaming with ITVX, which already about five years out of date.

Watching the ITV world cup footage is a disgrace considering that BBC can show it in 4K UHD.

Watching footy on ITVX at the moment - looks ok to me, but then again 4K would be no good anyway with our twenty year old plasma, which stubbornly will not die, and hence give me an excuse to buy a bigger and fancier telly like wot daughter has just bought!

advertisement

Back