advertisement

Avondale SE200 Announcement on FB

AAM cap ? What's that ? Was the choke left over the old naim/avondale ?

Hi ramona , as laverda put it " AAM" is Avondale audio magic, as Les put it the capacitor is the best i can make it and the psu is one of my finest .
Yes the amps are the original (se) design known as the amp 8 they and have been recently upgraded amp with later boards , i bough them with se 200 fitted and now they have the 230 boards . hth
Presumably the choke and cap are on the mains side in front of the transformer primary.
Anybody use this in their designs. Havn't seen this before?

All the mechanical stuff for the SE230 is now done... must admit I don't really like that bit, and I'm not much good at it.
Most of the wiring is also done.

The amp graveyard it getting full, especially this particular plot:

IMG-3914.jpg

Blame it on Les :D.

I restrict myself to 7 working amps. The NCC might rise again one Easter.
I've got way too many amps as well. I'm currently running NCC300 monos in the main system in the office, QUDOS Voyager monos in the secondary system in the family room, and an NCC200 stereo system in my bedroom. I'm about to resume two more dual-mono builds with prototype SE230 boards, which will bump things around. I've also got 2 spare QUDOS boards, another four NCC200s, and three HCR200 boards to boot. :eek:

Bloody hell Mike!
I should mention that I rationalized that I would eventually go active. I was running a Benchmark DAC2 (considered to be very accurate) as both DAC and preamp. I figured I would change that to a MiniDSP 4x10, also as DAC and pre-amp. The MiniDSP is probably not as good as the Benchmark, but given the shift to active, it would hopefully make up for it.

Since then I've discovered that I prefer the Denafrips Pontus II DAC, and might even change to something like a Holo Audio Spring or May. That would mean my digital signal has already been converted to analog, so the MiniDSP would have do ADC duties, into the digital DSP realm, then back to it's DAC stage. How much of the splendor of the superior upstream DAC would be squandered by all those machinations?

That leaves me with a gaggle of unnecessary amps. I've been trying to sell a few NCC200 amps, but most interested parties are on the other side of the pond, making shipping costs prohibitive. So for now, I'm sitting on them, trying to think of fun projects. ;)

I forgot to mention I'm also about to put my Neurochrome Modulus-686 build on the market. I hope there's more demand for it here in North America.

I've been 'down sizing' for most of the year and still have 5 stereo amps + a pair of mono blocks and a bin much like S-Mans.

I think you should set up a toilet system Mike, and a larder system, that should use up a few amps :)
Yesterday my friend said to me, "Just did the math. I have 4 systems in the house now. Am approaching Minky territory..." My response to him:

I also have four systems, but I guess it's 5 counting Finnlee's room, or 6 counting the ceiling speakers throughout the house driven by the P.A., and yeah 7 including the Squeezebox Boom in in Jill's office, oh and I forgot that the Garage system makes 8, and then I suppose you have to count the 5+ extra amps that are not in use, plus the gaggle of speakers sitting idle, oh yeah the home theatre system makes 9, and then the amp and speakers on my computer makes 10, and 3 Bluetooth speakers...

Yes, I have an obsession, but fortunately it's my only vice, and not really that expensive. For example, an unmarried chap down the street has $200K worth of cars sitting in his driveway (half what I spent on my house). Even when I had the full compliment of Naim's olive electronics, I wasn't even at 25% of that lofty number.

All the mechanical stuff for the SE230 is now done... must admit I don't really like that bit, and I'm not much good at it.
Most of the wiring is also done.

The amp graveyard it getting full, especially this particular plot:

IMG-3914.jpg
You should sell the NCC300's. They were considered the best up to about 6 months ago and probably are still up there even with the new SE series (am about to find out just ordered the parts to build a pair)
Am sure you would some happy buyers on here

Yesterday my friend said to me, "Just did the math. I have 4 systems in the house now. Am approaching Minky territory..." My response to him:

I also have four systems, but I guess it's 5 counting Finnlee's room, or 6 counting the ceiling speakers throughout the house driven by the P.A., and yeah 7 including the Squeezebox Boom in in Jill's office, oh and I forgot that the Garage system makes 8, and then I suppose you have to count the 5+ extra amps that are not in use, plus the gaggle of speakers sitting idle, oh yeah the home theatre system makes 9, and then the amp and speakers on my computer makes 10, and 3 Bluetooth speakers...

Yes, I have an obsession, but fortunately it's my only vice, and not really that expensive. For example, an unmarried chap down the street has $200K worth of cars sitting in his driveway (half what I spent on my house). Even when I had the full compliment of Naim's olive electronics, I wasn't even at 25% of that lofty number.
Property sounds cheap round your way lucky chap, maybe I should relocate to Canada Mike :). Or was that a long time ago?

Les sure has you lot repeatedly raiding the piggy banks. Good luck to him, one of the nicest people I have ever met.

But as a dragon would say "I'm out". Have been out of this amplifier merry-go-round for a number of years. Having fun watching you guys though.

Les sure has you lot repeatedly raiding the piggy banks. Good luck to him, one of the nicest people I have ever met.

But as a dragon would say "I'm out". Have been out of this amplifier merry-go-round for a number of years. Having fun watching you guys though.
I've been enjoying building then, but I'm near done now. I'm somewhat interested in building with the SE400, but it's not imperative. The NCC300 already sounds spectacularly good

advertisement

Back