advertisement

Yamaha A-S3000 spares or repair

Call me a cynic but the seller has listed lots of high end audio bits. If it was an easy fix, I'd guess it would have been fixed.

Neville's a nice guy, I bought a Denon turntable off him which apparently was having speed stability issues and was needing a recap. Needless to say, I haven't recapped it yet and apart from when starting up from cold, it's rock solid...

Neville's a nice guy, I bought a Denon turntable off him which apparently was having speed stability issues and was needing a recap. Needless to say, I haven't recapped it yet and apart from when starting up from cold, it's rock solid...

Good to hear. I shouldn't let years of bad eBay experiences get the better of me!

Apologies, Neville, if you're reading.

I'm curious if he's pursued having it repaired by an authorised Yamaha service centre, I certainly would as it's a great amp.

I wonder does he know that these amps are temperamental and go in to protection quite readily and appear dead. They can be restarted with some coded manipulation of the tone controls available via the service manual. This indeed happened to me and I managed to fix it this way.

Perhaps someone should contact him about this if his contact is known?

I wonder does he know that these amps are temperamental and go in to protection quite readily and appear dead. They can be restart with some coded manipulation of the tone controls via service manual. This indeed happened to me and I managed to fix it this way.

That was my first thought too.

Maybe someone could drop him an email suggesting that.

I’m actually amazed at the guy writing it off so easily unless he’s been advised that it will cost a lot to sort it but that amp is about £3000

£4000 new I think before discontinued and I paid under £2000, if mine stopped like that I certainly wouldn’t be auctioning it at potentially low winning bid. I suspect he’s decided to move onto something else and expects it to get most of it’s value.

£4000 new I think before discontinued and I paid under £2000, if mine stopped like that I certainly wouldn’t be auctioning it at potentially low winning bid. I suspect he’s decided to move onto something else and expects it to get most of it’s value.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for about £1500 or thereabouts.

The protection board on them Is massively invasive, it's not your basic hifi fix. You have three seconds to diagnose with each restart.

When I was buying the Denon I had a quick listen to his system - he was only using the phono stage of the Yamaha into the Chord power amp that he's selling with the Proacs. Must just be having a clear out.

One of my friends owns as2000 and other one owned as3000 and from their experience I can tell you that they don't go into a protection mode for no reason. It was always something wrong with it. I like how they sound, specially when they are setup with new Tannoy Etons. My friends experiences was the only reason which kept me away of buying Yamaha. AS3000 was replaced by As2100 and it seems to be more stable now.

One of my friends owns as2000 and other one owned as3000 and from their experience I can tell you that they don't go into a protection mode for no reason. It was always something wrong with it. I like how they sound, specially when they are setup with new Tannoy Etons. My friends experiences was the only reason which kept me away of buying Yamaha. AS3000 was replaced by As2100 and it seems to be more stable now.

Seems to be a bit of a problem with these amps judging by a quick Google search.

Maybe the seller has had enough of the amp going into protection mode and has decided to dump it, wouldn't blame him after reading some of the horror stories that popped up.

This one below is from a tech guy who was repairing one.

https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/1557316

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/throughly-disappointed-with-my-new-yamaha-a-3000-integrated

Reset procedure in this thread below.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/yamaha-a-s3000-arrived.639305/page-8

I had one in, couldnt do a damn thing with it without powering each board externally, a total PITA piece of design.

I had one in, couldnt do a damn thing with it without powering each board externally, a total PITA piece of design.

Aye that post from the tech above sounded like a complete nightmare.

"A-S3000 was delivered to my workshop today with the amp going into protection mode regularly. I already checked the service manual and the Japanese are crazy. They have more than 10 morse code like sequences of the flashing power LED in protection mode.

To run the diagnostic mode and to browse through the items one has to set rotary switches in certain positions....

One important thing to mention: In the service mode one can override the protection mode. This can cause additional damage, especially if the trouble cause is a high current running through the power amps. If this high current runs for a long period (it even runs when no speakers are connected) the power transistors wil be destroyed!!

Since this amp also seems to have bias-issues (heatsinks get too hot to touch), it may very well be that the bias is set so high that the amp will shut down immediately after it is switched on!!!"

... AS3000 was replaced by As2100 and it seems to be more stable now.

Please don't take it as a positive review of AS2100 because when I start reading about them on internet they seem to have similar issues as well.
I think my friend just got lucky :cool: with his AS2100

If I wasn’t reading this I would think it was describing another amp, my AS3000 only ever gets warm to the touch anywhere.

I've just bought (this week) a Yamaha A-S501 briliant amp for the money and it sounds great too, I can only imagine what those high end Yamaha amps sound like, they must sound fantastic.

advertisement

Back