advertisement

eBay - RM Delivery to wrong address

SteveS1

I heard that, pardon?
Just had a message to say some CDs have not arrived, even though they show as signed for on the tracking. As the seller I don't see there is much I can do as the buyer's delivery hub is obviously closer to them. Anyone had this issue?

Have you tried phoning Royal Mail customer services about it? Their phone operators have access to a tracking system which can show details not visible to general customers viewing the RM tracking page history, so maybe worth a call in case they can shed any light on the location of the parcel.

Have you tried phoning Royal Mail customer services about it? Their phone operators have access to a tracking system which can show details not visible to general customers viewing the RM tracking page history, so maybe worth a call in case they can shed any light on the location of the parcel.

Thanks I'll get to that later, I would assume the buyer claiming the postman did not arrive yesterday is something for his hub to investigate but this has never happened in a thousand odd transactions so I may have been lucky before.

As the seller I think it becomes your responsibility to investigate, and claim for loss if it gets to that at any point*. The contract for delivery is between you and RM, and UK consumer law is much more caveat venditor than emptor these days.

*edited to add - it doesn't hurt to ask the buyer to check with their local sorting office assuming they are happy to do so.

This happened to me but the goods turned up a couple of days later. Good luck with their customer services, really helpful on the phone but really crap at following through.

When I was a postman I'd have got the sack for that.
I've noticed a few lapses in delivery standards since covid.

What is a delivery ?

We are lucky if we get a delivery every 3-4 days, have had 1st class mail from people arriving not next day but next week.

The postal service is appalling at the moment: a special delivery guaranteed next day by 1pm taking an extra day and a first class letter to Aberdeen 5 days and counting.

Last RM parcel we had delivered was left on the doorstep, it was a signed for delivery, the explanation given was that the parcel was signed for by the van driver. The good lady was in, she saw him do it then drive away, no ring of the bell or anything.

When I was a postman I'd have got the sack for that.
I've noticed a few lapses in delivery standards since covid.

Don’t immediately blame the postie for that. You need to check who’s performance in the depot is being judged by stats. ;);)

The problem I found with Royal Mail delivery offices was there was no constant flow of mail. Recently in covid times there is no guarantee of adequate staffing levels either.
The variance of load could be extreme. For example, contractors or external service providers could dump mail onto the Royal Mail delivery office in a last minute panic to divert from their own failing delivery service.
Just one example was Whistl who purported to have their own delivery people but then gave it up as a loss, thus dumping their contracted load onto RM.
There is only so much traffic that can flow through so the excess to capacity has to be "prioritised". Or in extreme cases of resource shortages, just not delivered.

RM are still not taking customer signatures, due to covid precautions. Posties are signing to confirm that they’ve delivered the item. Pre-signing is still pretty much a no-no, but there’s all kinds of stuff happening at the moment that would have had whole rafts of posties and managers sacked in the past, so who knows what a Delivery Office manager has deemed acceptable…

One change that’s in progress is that every item sent Tracked has to have a photo taken of it being delivered, so that photo should be available when you check the status of the item on the RM website.

There is also a massive network wide change going on with duties, and industrial relations are, erm, interesting at the moment. Lot’s of people refusing to do overtime etc, etc so mail is going unsorted and mail being brought back to the office at the end of peoples working hours rather than them staying out to complete their duty. Not exactly industrial action yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it tipped over into that in the not too distant future.

What is a confirmed delivery ?

Is an unlocked porch considered so ?

Is a locked porch considered so as well ? (ie leave the parcel on the outside of it with a photo)

The third example has happened to my neighbour recently.

advertisement

Back