advertisement

Exposure

Have a couple of IV's....one very early.....both unregulated!
Fascinated to learn just what the regulated aspect brings to the table.?

Hoping soon to go 3-way active into a pair of Briks.

...and I can see you have the fabled V....don't see many of them around!

With the regulated IV the sound is more open and cleaner allowing you to play louder without distortion.
Exposure themselves in their info on the amp word it better than me:

"Due to the regulation, inter-modulation distortion (IM) is significantly reduced, having the effect of making the amplifier sound quieter than its output might indicate. It should however be made clear that whilst it may sound quieter it is in fact producing a much higher sound pressure level for the same apparent volume"

I did in the past check this with my SP meter and compared to a non reg IV I had I could go louder with the reg IV without pain of distortion, I was pleasantly surprised that the reg IV sound better at low volumes as-well.
I have no early IV dual reg anymore as I preferred the later versions when they switched from H&F toroids and increased the VA rating from 300 to 375 from memory with tweaks to some of the components.

The two active V's x-overs I have are keepers, the pcb are populated for two way SBL. I had a chat with Exposure before Covid got in the way about populating the rest of the pcb for three way NBL use but they had no reference info to go by and did try to help out by tracking down a three way unit but then communication ceased when Covid hit.

Which active crossover will you use ?

.........Which active crossover will you use ?

Aaaggghh....well there's the rub!!
I'll probably be shot down in flames here...for such a hifi heresy....but for the initial experiment, I've got myself a Citronic CX34 (which is a professional (low end and cheap) performance oriented crossover)....thought it worth a go for the princely sum of £75.

Which iv standard or xviii super sound better?

A standard IV single toroid transformer no regulation and no psu output against a XVIII super.
Both are good, subtle difference between them in tone; only the IV has larger toroid and reservoir capacitors and more power.
A dual IV non reg (or reg) would be better but it may be easier to find a XVIII and start enjoying your music.

Took the cover off my Exposure 18S for the first time as I was curious about the number of power supply caps it had, couldn’t find any pictures on the web. I was wondering if the connection to the negative is soldered.

6qi8duM.jpg

I believe that the speaker ground return would be improved by nice thick wires (at least separate it into L/R!) going from the speaker terminals directly back to the middle of the ground busbar between the 4 caps...not sure why they went via the casework! Input RCA sockets seem to return via the case too, that could be similarly improved.

Has anyone on got the Exposure XM7 and XM9 power amps?
Currently using an XM5, wondering if it's worth the upgrade?
Speakers are Proac DT8s, room 12ft x17ft

I think you might be right, the only problem is my wife bought a new tv/hifi unit and it won't take full width units.

Hi all,

i have got a problem with my exposure 18 supper power amp, the power switch's light is slowly bright up every time I switch it on. and its not bright as before. Anyone has this problem? please help.

Thank you.

Hi all,

i have got a problem with my exposure 18 supper power amp, the power switch's light is slowly bright up every time I switch it on. and its not bright as before. Anyone has this problem? please help.

Thank you.

The front switch light does start to fail and is sadly normal on these older units.
Although annoying it does not seem to impact the performance of the amp.
One of my two single IV amps has a flickering switch light the other doesn't and there is no difference in quality of sound that I can tell.

Contact Exposure to see if they have any of these switches available or you could try parts suppliers like RS Parts for the Honeywell switches.

Contact Exposure to see if they have any of these switches available or you could try parts suppliers like RS Parts for the Honeywell switches.

Good advice. I contacted Exposure earlier this year; ordered and recieved a new switch for my 17.

The front switch light does start to fail and is sadly normal on these older units.
Although annoying it does not seem to impact the performance of the amp.
One of my two single IV amps has a flickering switch light the other doesn't and there is no difference in quality of sound that I can tell.

I have an Exposure IV and I will not touch the power switch unless contact fails. Why : this is an extra heavy duty Microswitch that’s designed to last forever and might not be available anymore.
If it’s still working fine apart from the led is fading, I would leave it there.

With the regulated IV the sound is more open and cleaner allowing you to play louder without distortion.
Exposure themselves in their info on the amp word it better than me:

"Due to the regulation, inter-modulation distortion (IM) is significantly reduced, having the effect of making the amplifier sound quieter than its output might indicate. It should however be made clear that whilst it may sound quieter it is in fact producing a much higher sound pressure level for the same apparent volume"

I did in the past check this with my SP meter and compared to a non reg IV I had I could go louder with the reg IV without pain of distortion, I was pleasantly surprised that the reg IV sound better at low volumes as-well.
I have no early IV dual reg anymore as I preferred the later versions when they switched from H&F toroids and increased the VA rating from 300 to 375 from memory with tweaks to some of the components.

The two active V's x-overs I have are keepers, the pcb are populated for two way SBL. I had a chat with Exposure before Covid got in the way about populating the rest of the pcb for three way NBL use but they had no reference info to go by and did try to help out by tracking down a three way unit but then communication ceased when Covid hit.

Which active crossover will you use ?
I have vii pre, viii power. If i add vi power for vii pre better than power from viii power to vii pre? I see same borad power vi and board power on viii power

I am a big fan of Onix but discovered that Tony Brady took responsibilities in Exposure ... I began with the integrated amplifier X that I like a lot but now I have got the combo VI/VII/ super VIII. Compared to Onix the spectrum of sound is not as large - not so much bass and trebble and the middle is not as sharp but still the sound rendition is really nice- the feeling of having different instruments is really there - I mean a violin sounds realistic, a piano as well. It is a pity that there is not so much info about these old Exposure in google and nearly no pictures of the inside of the VII. But I do not know how to add pictures on pink fish media -HELP HELP !

advertisement

Back