advertisement

Then AMUSED TO DEATH came along

woodpecker

pfm Member
Several years ago if anyone had asked me what is the best album that I had ever heard I would have had to say that I could not pin it down to one album but would have listed about 10 albums all competing for being the best.
Then i discovered Roger Waters album Amused To Death. And to me this is now clearly the best album that I have ever heard.
Now,for me, there is Amused to Death.....and then daylight.....to lots of great albums.
Does anyone else feel this way about a particular album.....that it is definitively their CLEAR FAVOURITE album, of all time,and what album is it?
Now, I know that someone will come on here and tell me that Amused To Death is a pile of crap. But, that is what music is all about......aint it?
If we all loved and hated the same albums it would be a chuffing boring world.
Finally, I wonder how many people bought the Roger Waters solo albums RADIO KAOS (poor) and Pros and cons of hitchhiking (good) but gave up and missed the masterpiece AMUSED TO DEATH. (IMHO of course)

It's the only RW album I own, but I only like it for the Jeff Beck bits. Akin to Clinton's claim of not inhaling perhaps, but true.

My clear favourite album of all time is 'Raw Power' by Iggy and the Stooges, as can be seen from the tattered sleeve, and worn-out grooves of my 1973 vinyl copy. I can hear SSB muttering 'Fun House', but that unfortunately has 'LA Blues' on it which I don't much care for, whereas 'Raw Power' is solid gold throughout.

Amused to Death is a pile of crap. I bought it on the strength of many recommendations, and still have it, in fact. I have no idea why though - it just sounds unremittingly miserable to me.

[size=-1]I wish I could post a smiley here, but unfortunately, I really do feel this way about it. Sorry, Woodpecker[/size]

Otherwise - i've no clear out-and-out favourites but a steadily rotating mess of discs that never get put away.

I've never heard it, but I thought the idea of the thread was to nominate our own favourites rather than argue the toss about 'Amused to Death'?

I think it's hard to pick a favorite album, but one of them is 10cc, Deceptive Bends.

d749773u49y.jpg

Fair point Joe, though I meant my comment to read more humourously than it does.

OK then, three I can't imagine not having close to hand: Everybody Digs Bill Evans; Gerry Rafferty Baker Street; John Renbourn / Stephan Grossman Under the Volcano. All three satisfy, whatever mood I'm in.

If you listen carefully to the beginning the dog appears to be barking outside the room. Hifi cool.

Paul

If you play your cards right the dog appears to be barking on eBay - I got over 100 quid for a copy once.

Tony.

Any idea why that album fails to get reissued on vinyl when so much other dreck manages to? Sony should consider this.

I think Amused to Death is one of those albums that you either love or hate. For me it is up there with the best album i own, i just wish i had bought the Sony Mastersound version when i had the chance, i know you can buy it on Amazon or ebay but i refuse to pay there prices. As for the vinyl when will someone please re-release it because the secondhand price is ridiculous

Mike

Mike
How much do they go for, sat reading said disk on the table! Not selling though, would a copy be acceptable - I'd do you one.

Martin

I've never heard it and certainly won't be stumping out for a vinyl copy at the prics it goes for but my interest is up (albums which strongly divide opinion are usually pretty good though not necessarily to my taste). HOw does it compare to say Pros and Cons? or (I know its Floyd but its sort of like a Waters solo album) The Final Cut? ... which isn't half as bad as a lot of people who only ever listened to it once will have you believe ... (and has some very cool special effects if you listen with headphones).

My better than everything else album by a country mile (pun intended :) ), is Nashville Skyline by Bob Dylan ... and Tony if you ever run across a nice first issue, give me a shout.

I listened to ATD yesterday. It sounded like Chris Rea to me, but I've never been able to appreciate any PF related stuff made after Animals.

Nashville Skyline is utterly ace, though.

Simon

I've got an original orange label copy of Nashville Skyline that looks absolutely mint with no spindle marking but crackles like a bastard. Disappointing as it's a great album.

Tony.

advertisement

Back