advertisement

Active speakers - Kii Audio, Dutch & Dutch...

Just completed a Hedd ‘Tower Mains’ Kii Three BXT , Dutch&Dutch 8C demonstration/ comparison, in all honesty I did very little ( as usual) just handed the IPad to the client and he switched between loudspeakers.
He even had the temerity to Bluetooth music to the Kiis from his phone.
Keith
What did he think Keith?

I saw a thread a couple of years ago where a dealer had sold a pair of massive speakers that were shoehorned tight into corners and we're driven by a system that should have been a lot better as the speakers were over 50k. Surprise surprise it didn't work that well. The answer was to sell the customer some 6k room correction, madness. Don't sell the customer speakers that are unsuitable for his room and system. Profit over common sense and looking after the customer properly.

Just completed a Hedd ‘Tower Mains’ Kii Three BXT , Dutch&Dutch 8C demonstration/ comparison, in all honesty I did very little ( as usual) just handed the IPad to the client and he switched between loudspeakers.
He even had the temerity to Bluetooth music to the Kiis from his phone.
Keith

You could have saved a bit time here and just shown him some graphs instead!

Sorry Keith couldn't help myself ;) J

I saw a thread a couple of years ago where a dealer had sold a pair of massive speakers that were shoehorned tight into corners and we're driven by a system that should have been a lot better as the speakers were over 50k. Surprise surprise it didn't work that well. The answer was to sell the customer some 6k room correction, madness. Don't sell the customer speakers that are unsuitable for his room and system. Profit over common sense and looking after the customer properly.
Yes I remember that expensive passive PMCs with no form of adjustment, dealer really should have expected room mode issues, fixed the problem as you say with external room correction.
Keith

Other choices are available ;)
You have MBL’s yes? The MBL Extremes play in the same league as the Olympians and they are a bit cheaper. Only €200k as I recall. Then there are those Bayz omnidirectionals which are equally fabtastic.
Sorry, I’m going OT. Back in the real world, if I was starting from scratch I’d certainly be going active. In another year or so something revolutionary is going to appear from New Zealand . . . .

Sadly, I only have their entry model but a taste of what the 101 and extreme can do as they use the same “tweeter” and “mid range unit” on all their speakers. First time I’ve heard of the Bayz though; interesting.

I think there are two issues that could helpfully be discussed separately: active vs passive and equalization or not.

However the elephant in the room is the quality of the drivers and the enclosure. If quality lacks at the foundation of the loudspeaker then IMHO these two issues are moot. I would always look for evidence of foundational quality in a loudspeaker before making the effort to audition it and before looking at other matters.

Dealing for now only with active vs passive (I will make some comments later about my view on equalization).

I have heard active and passive versions of ATC's SCM40 and SCM50. The passives driven by both Chord amplifiers and by ATC's own. The active/passive audible differences were not "night and day" to my ears (although I finally chose to go active). It was the characteristics of the drive units and the enclosure that dominated for most of the music I heard.

For context, the audible difference between loudspeakers from different manufacturers and their different design philosophies are greater to me than the difference between active and passive within one manufacturer. So foundational quality and design philosophy drove my choice more than active versus passive. I do have my own views on the differences and I think active is better (to gloss over a lot of detail) but my experience is that if well engineered both approaches work well.

As in the OPs case, I was mindful about the number of boxes in the system and keeping it at a minimum. Very non-audiophile I know but very relevant to some. I was also mindful about issues such as the degree of functional integration versus long-term maintainability (since I don't swap boxes often), and the likely later addition of new functions which could increase the box count again.

I made comments earlier about active versus passive. On equalization vs not I have less listening experience. I have heard (but not extensively) Kii THREE + BXT (not Kii THREE alone) and D&D 8c both of which I though were good.

If you read the loudspeaker literature you will find that the human ear/brain system adapts to a room when it knows what it is listening to. There are certainly peaks and troughs in my room/loudspeaker response but experience suggests that with careful loudspeaker positioning "flat enough" exists for me without equalization. YMMV for sure and I am certain that equalization (either built-in to the loudspeaker or separate) would make getting there easier to achieve and in a more difficult room might well be essential.

Equalization is a very useful tool but I think, as with almost everything in loudspeaker design, it may come with a price. If you do any form of boost or cancellation I think you will always be using up some part of a drive unit's high-level dynamic range. Even if you just cut peaks the user will turn up the volume to compensate.

My experience is that the drive units in smallish domestic loudspeakers are typically marginal (or worse) on high SPL capability at low distortion. They can sound uneasy to me at even moderate average listening levels if peak levels go too high. Keith Howard wrote a HiFi News article about this a short while ago which very much mirrors my own experience. And reviews of some active and equalized domestic loudspeakers have shown concerning levels of distortion at low frequencies and very moderate listening levels.

So my view is that you have to insist on the best quality drivers if you apply equalization. And that applying equalization thoughtfully, in moderation to achieve good enough rather than completely flat, is the best approach to avoid taking away from clean peak loudness capability.

Yes I'm not in a hurry, honestly I must say I like my two systems a lot. Both have been stripped down to pre/DAC feeding a power amp.
One is RME DAC/NAP250/Totem Forest, the other is TeddyDAC (now back in Israel being converted into Volume Control version)/NAP200/SBL.
I dropped a n-272 and NAC102/DualTeddyCap and moved to these new setups quite recently so I guess I'd like to enjoy them for some more time..... but who doesn't like the idea of moving to something better.

Hi Ste,

Sounds sensible and reasonable to me.

On a side note: I recently moved to SBLs, after my cats killed my Focals. I am blown away by how good they are, they work excellently in my Victorian semi. Such is my admiration that I had the drive units renewed and bought a pair of Avondale XOs, I now feel I am set and see these as my last speakers. Of course this is within the context of the rest of my system, but I won't distract your thread.

Look forward to your thoughts following any demos.

M

Hi Ste,

Sounds sensible and reasonable to me.

On a side note: I recently moved to SBLs, after my cats killed my Focals. I am blown away by how good they are, they work excellently in my Victorian semi. Such is my admiration that I had the drive units renewed and bought a pair of Avondale XOs, I now feel I am set and see these as my last speakers. Of course this is within the context of the rest of my system, but I won't distract your thread.

Look forward to your thoughts following any demos.

M

Have you had the chance to hear Gidders' with Linn Exakt?

I made comments earlier about active versus passive. On equalization vs not I have less listening experience. I have heard (but not extensively) Kii THREE + BXT (not Kii THREE alone) and D&D 8c both of which I though were good.

If you read the loudspeaker literature you will find that the human ear/brain system adapts to a room when it knows what it is listening to. There are certainly peaks and troughs in my room/loudspeaker response but experience suggests that with careful loudspeaker positioning "flat enough" exists for me without equalization. YMMV for sure and I am certain that equalization (either built-in to the loudspeaker or separate) would make getting there easier to achieve and in a more difficult room might well be essential.

Equalization is a very useful tool but I think, as with almost everything in loudspeaker design, it may come with a price. If you do any form of boost or cancellation I think you will always be using up some part of a drive unit's high-level dynamic range. Even if you just cut peaks the user will turn up the volume to compensate.

My experience is that the drive units in smallish domestic loudspeakers are typically marginal (or worse) on high SPL capability at low distortion. They can sound uneasy to me at even moderate average listening levels if peak levels go too high. Keith Howard wrote a HiFi News article about this a short while ago which very much mirrors my own experience. And reviews of some active and equalized domestic loudspeakers have shown concerning levels of distortion at low frequencies and very moderate listening levels.

So my view is that you have to insist on the best quality drivers if you apply equalization. And that applying equalization thoughtfully, in moderation to achieve good enough rather than completely flat, is the best approach to avoid taking away from clean peak loudness capability.
Do you have a REW plot of your room?
If your room is large and your speakers bass extension is moderate you may not suffer from room mode based reinforcements , traditionally if your speakers ‘boomed’ you bought a smaller pair with less extension.
If you only ‘EQ’ the minimal phase sections of the FR, you can create a perfect inversion with no delay .
Simply reducing the bass reinforcement down to where it should be, this is completely transparent.
Keith

Not disagreeing with the general theme of your post but am confused by one thing.
You said that by cutting peaks, you drive the speaker harder to compensate and hence you might get driver distortion in poorly engineered speakers.
I don't understand that. If you cut peaks you then ask your preamp/poweramp to do more work to produce the same spl, you're not actually listening to louder music.
So isn't it your pre/power that needs to have the appropriate amount of headroom to cope without producing distortion and not the speaker?
Thanks

Really? I’ve found there’s a bigger difference moving from SCM50’s to SCM100’s then moving from SCM100’s to SCM150’s. Hence why between the three we chose SCM100ASL Professional monitors as our demo pair.

Our of interest have you heard the SCM100ASL’s please?

I've heard them yes! And I would love a pair of 150's or Tannoy Westminsters if my room would take them. The bigger the lower frequency driver the better IMHO. They simply have an effortlessness that mirrors that of the musical instrument playing those notes.

When I say the room dictates , unless we are really lucky and wealthy, the room will produce peaks at frequencies that we want to have at a specific place on the roll off as opposed to the advertised frequency range. That's just my experience but it allows us to get a more balanced (and therefore a more timbrally accurate) representation of the original recording.

Not disagreeing with the general theme of your post but am confused by one thing.
You said that by cutting peaks, you drive the speaker harder to compensate and hence you might get driver distortion in poorly engineered speakers.
I don't understand that. If you cut peaks you then ask your preamp/poweramp to do more work to produce the same spl, you're not actually listening to louder music.
So isn't it your pre/power that needs to have the appropriate amount of headroom to cope without producing distortion and not the speaker?
Thanks
I think that when you cut peaks in SPL in the room at particular frequencies the total amount of audio energy in the room decreases. I think that may mean a user will compensate for this by turning up the volume a bit - at all frequencies - so driving the loudspeaker a little harder. The pre-power amp may well work harder too, of course. I think that will eat up a bit of dynamic headroom (how much? maybe it's only a little?).

The reason I am interested in this is that I have noted some unusual LF distortion measurements published for active loudspeakers with built-in equalization. I am not saying this matters - it may be inaudible - but it's an oddity that tweaks my inclination to try and understand why. I am speculating and if there's some other good explanation on offer I am all ears.

Do you have a REW plot of your room?
If your room is large and your speakers bass extension is moderate you may not suffer from room mode based reinforcements , traditionally if your speakers ‘boomed’ you bought a smaller pair with less extension.
If you only ‘EQ’ the minimal phase sections of the FR, you can create a perfect inversion with no delay .
Simply reducing the bass reinforcement down to where it should be, this is completely transparent.
Keith
I have a file of various REW measurements. However with measurements the key is always to understand "what do they mean?" and then "what do you do about them?" Both of these seems often to be unasked.

Speculation about a particular room and how to deal with it seems premature until you understand the answer to "what outcome is sufficient?". I have not yet seen any credible answer to this. Do you have one?

My own experiments have shown (to my ears at least) that human hearing deals very well with still quite large room-induced deviations from the sort of flat frequency response outcomes that get promoted for equalizers. And the Floyd Toole experiments to separate out room from loudspeaker in listener preferences confirm that the loudspeaker is highly significant and the room is much less significant.

I am quite sure equalization is a useful tool in the loudspeaker toolbox. But I am equally sure that applying it carefully is important. If there is a good answer to "what outcome is sufficient?" I would be very happy to understand that.

REW is comprehensive, I would start at looking at any issues caused by the main axial modes, bass reinforcement can be really destructive and it’s removal a revelation.
Use REW to determine the minimal phase bass peaks and create a filter, remeasure and listen, removing large bass peaks is almost certainly the single largest improvement one can make.
Keith

advertisement

Back