advertisement

Naim CDS - is this a fault?

will1124

pfm Member
I have a Naim CDS and this was the first time I hook it up today. After I switch it on by pressing the button on the CDPS, it takes about 25 seconds before the Naim logo light turns on in the CDS head unit. And there is no signal feed to the pre before the Naim logo light in the CDS head unit turns on.

Does anyone know if it is a fault or it is originally designed like this?

Cheers.

This is normal. Mine takes longer I think.

P. S. Just leave it on.

Edit: I hope it’s normal!

This is completely normal. The display shows the state of the DC servo on the output stage - there are no capacitors in the signal output path. It has a long time constant so can take up to 50 seconds or so.

Always still amazes me that people buy Audio equipment and ask questions later?

Always still amazes me that people buy Audio equipment and ask questions later?

How would they necessarily know that before purchase?

You frequently ask an audio dealer to turn on and off the equipment so that you know exactly how it will behave when you get home, wow you must have a lot of free time!

I have a CDS/ CDPS and the start up is normal I leave it on for about a minute before I put a CD in.

Regards,

Martin

This is normal. Mine takes longer I think.

P. S. Just leave it on.

Edit: I hope it’s normal!

Please don’t leave kit on 24/7.

Global warming is very real.

Just accept a 5 minute wait, and choose your first CD or two while you’re waiting.

Or better still, get rid of your stereo and read a book. But not a new one, as the chemicals used in paper production kills fish. And old one you've found in a charity shop.

Doesn't even have to be a book you like.

And do remember to read your book in the daytime to save electricity.

I’m not trying to be a killjoy. It’s well documented on these pages that there’s no real benefit to leaving kit on 24/7. By which I mean posts from qualified individuals who design and build this stuff.

It will also, I understand, prolong the life of your kit if you turn it off when not in use.

I do understand that turning on and off constantly is to be avoided, so personally, I fire up just once a day, usually in the evening, and leave on until I’m done for the day.

I’m not trying to be a killjoy. It’s well documented on these pages that there’s no real benefit to leaving kit on 24/7.

I don't agree. If you go into any broadcast or recording studio the kit is not switched off after commissioning. I know my system takes more than a minute or two to sound right.

To be honest, I don't care. I'm not saying we shouldn't be interested in the planet but there are bigger fish to fry. We live in a civilisation where you can have as many televisions in the house as you like but not a decent light bulb so you can read a book! Incandescent bulbs were actually a very clean technology where as fluorescents are dirty. I'm not interested in electricity usage, that in itself is neither here nor there. It's the mess we make that's doing the damage.

I don't agree. If you go into any broadcast or recording studio the kit is not switched off after commissioning. I know my system takes more than a minute or two to sound right.

To be honest, I don't care. I'm not saying we shouldn't be interested in the planet but there are bigger fish to fry. We live in a civilisation where you can have as many televisions in the house as you like but not a decent light bulb so you can read a book! Incandescent bulbs were actually a very clean technology where as fluorescents are dirty. I'm not interested in electricity usage, that in itself is neither here nor there. It's the mess we make that's doing the damage.

We’ll agree to disagree on the subject of sound. Though you might try a true blind test one day (but let’s not start an argument on that topic - I just put it out there!).

I do agree that there are lots of fish to fry, some rather bigger. However, lots of small fish are worth attending to. It all adds up.

I don't agree with blind tests either :0)

FWIW I get that blind tests can be flawed. But they can demonstrate that night and day differences are somewhat often overstated.

PS. Why do you think Naim put the power switches on the back?...

It looks neat. I also expect that a little marketing BS got in there? It’s also difficult to extricate themselves from a stance that’s become engrained? Perhaps someone at Naim will come up with something when enough of their customers become concerned about global warming (and associated small fish) and consider switching to manufacturers who are capable of making kit that can be turned off without impacting audio performance?

Perhaps someone at Naim will come up with something when enough of their customers become concerned about global warming (and associated small fish) and consider switching to manufacturers who are capable of making kit that can be turned off without impacting audio performance?

I've never seen a tree hugger in a Hi-Fi shop.

I think the general population are beginning to realise that trees need a good hug.

I think that hi-end hi-fi is an extravagant lifestyle commodity and most of the people who buy it are not not the kind who worry overtly about the polar bears. Might say they do but...

advertisement

Back