advertisement

Linear PSU for NAS & Router

Not necessarily faulty per se, probably just the inductor vibrating. It will still function fine.

So an inductor vibrating is no fault!

Okay!

I'd still want it replaced with an inductor that did no vibrate causing noises off! I can get annoyed with LPs sometimes compared to Digital methods for example. Noises off don't count as working fine in audio replay for me.

So an inductor vibrating is no fault! Okay! I'd still want it replace with an inductor that did no vibrate causing noises off! NosI often get annoyed with LPs compared to Digital methods for example. es off don't count as working fine in audio replay for me. One of the reason
Erm se the use of "per se" meaning it will still be electrically functioning correctly.

Erm se[e] the use of "per se" meaning it will still be electrically functioning correctly.

I think you are playing the word game really!

Good fun but not much help in respect of quality music replay!

ATB from George

Erm se[e] the use of "per se" meaning it will still be electrically functioning correctly.

I think you are playing the word game really!

Good fun but not much help in respect of quality music replay!

ATB from George
No, you just didn't understand the point I was making.

I still do not. In my view if a toaster makes a noise of buzzing or whatever, I would accept that, but with music replay, I'd call buzzing or chirping noises [etc] a fault. In what way is there a point to make about that unless you like noises off on replay?

It was only the psu making the noise, it wasn't present in the music replay (unless I have misread the OP)

Be that as it may.

I had not noticed that detail, but if a PS itself makes a sound that is audible at the listening position rather than putting your ear right up to it, then I would define that as unacceptable. No less acceptable than if the noises off came through the speaker.

Yes the chirping was coming from the PSU, not speakers.. but i agree with George, either way it's not acceptable, i could hear it only when the room was dead silent ,even then very very faintly.

I saw a quote in a political thread (brexit!) elsewhere this morning bemoaning a recent trend where some seem to think "my ignorance is as important as your knowledge".... ITS NOT and never will be! It seemed apt to hi fi threads such as this one....

An quote from Isaac Asimov no less...

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.""

He said it nearly 40 years ago !

Tell you what Keith, when the speakers arrive ( which I've designed ) Lets do a back to back demo, here in this room? both system have full room correction (The DNA has it built in) so would be a good test.

Tell you what Keith, when the speakers arrive ( which I've designed ) Lets do a back to back demo, here in this room? both system have full room correction (The DNA has it built in) so would be a good test.
The Kiis don’t actually have room correction, they have a cardioid response through the midrange/upper bass, sophisticated boundary filters and built in tone controls though.
Keith

Last edited:

advertisement

Back